Will hard sector support be coming to non-Windows platforms?

Have an idea how to make KryoFlux even better? Let us know...
donutbruit

Will hard sector support be coming to non-Windows platforms?

Post by donutbruit »

Just wondering if macOS, Linux, and AmigaOS 4 users will be able to image hard sectored disks anytime soon.
w2510a

Re: Will hard sector support be coming to non-Windows platforms?

Post by w2510a »

Dear team, I would also be interested in extended support for hard sectored disks.
My goal is to copy system disks for my AES 7100 Office System. It uses single sided/double density 5.25" disks (hard sectored, 16 sectors). So far I managed to read the disks on a standard PC drive (1.2 MB Panasonic), but writing images back to physical disks is obviously a challenge. As Kryoflux software doesn't allow this, I tried it with a trick (covering the sector index holes on the disk). I was successful on a data disk (at least with data stored on the first few tracks). However I am failing with the system disks. In the best case I seem to be successful with ~5-10 tracks, i.e. the AES system recognizes the disk, displays the system start message stored in the boot sector, starts loading and stops after a while with an error. Obviously the written data is not "good enough", which might be due to inaccurate sector positioning or data track issues (especially as I am writing with an 1.2 MB HD drive). I also tried using a Chinon DD Drive, but this drive even fails to read the hard sectored disks (obviously it gets confused by the 16 additional index holes). I can write stream data (that was recorded with the 1.2 MB drive), but still the AES computer won't boot properly.
Do you have any further ideas how I might be successful with my task?
I am considering to connect the "original" drive of the AES computer to Kryoflux. As far as I know, the drive uses a regular Shugart interface, hence connecting should be possible (but obviously I would have to open the AES and extract the drive).
mr.vince

Re: Will hard sector support be coming to non-Windows platforms?

Post by mr.vince »

This has been noted as a feature request and I'll let our devs know to give it some prio, if possible.