C64 disk and the GUI

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
Steverd

C64 disk and the GUI

Post by Steverd » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:11 pm

I've only had my Kryoflux for two days and starting to get it figured out (some).
I'm using the GUI with a Panasonic JU-475-4 modded drive.

I've dumped about 25 C64 disk so far, but wonder why does the GUI go from Side 0 to Side 1
There nothing on the back of most of the C64 disk and I think this drive read only one side at a time?
Anyway as in the attached photo, Side 1 tracks are always greyed out, Can I turn off read that to speed things up?

Also this drive reads 83 tracks and I always end up with 168 RAW files. I guess that is confusing for me with C64 disk are
are 35-40 tracks. Are they half tracks? Like the track4.0.raw and track4.1.raw?

I know I will have more questions, but also have a ton of Original C64 disk to perverse also!

Thank you
Steverd
Attachments
kryo1.jpg

mr.vince

Re: C64 disk and the GUI

Post by mr.vince » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:00 am

At least one of the presets accesses side 1, so the stream files inherit this. Check your presets.

As for the tracks of your drive: When asked for the blue or red pill, make your choice. In the real world 1541 drives have a standard 80 track mechanism. Of course only half of these can be used with the wide head used in the 1541, but you can switch between odd or even if you just make sure adjacent tracks are empty (to avoid crosstalk).

Dumping all 82 tracks (0-81) makes perfectly sense. And you will be surprised how many flip sides are not empty. The contain demo versions, side 2 of a very different game etc.

Steverd

Post by Steverd » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:47 pm

Thanks for the reply. NOW my biggest problem is that my Panasonic JU-475-4 drive won't read the back sides.
I know it's because most C64 disk do not have the index sensor hole for both sides of the disk.

Is there a GUI or command line solution to this?
I can't punch holes in the sleeves and I can't exchange the disk into different sleeves.

Thank you
Steve

BarryB

Post by BarryB » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:43 pm

Is your Panasonic a Flippy modded drive? Mine is a JU-475-5 bought from SPS specifically for dumping Flippy disks, it's the only way to dump disks that don't have 2 index holes!

If yours is a flippy drive, try dumping from the console using this command in DTC: dtc -p -b-8 -fFOLDER\GAMENAME_ -i0 -y -g2 -i6 -l8 -t10
-p will auto create the folder\streamfiles
-b-8 tells dtc to step -8 tracks past track 0 to start dumping side 1 on my JU-475-5
-fFOLDER\GAMENAME_ just names the folder and streamfiles you want dump to, it's recommended to use an underscore at the end of the streamfile name
-i0 preservation settings, output streamfiles
-y set flippy mode (flippy modded drive needed)
-g2 read both sides of the disk
-i6 set guide format (CBM DOS Sector Image 35+ Tracks) See manual for setting specific C64 copy protection formats when dumping, -i15 to -i25
-l8 logging level
-t10 number of retries in case of a read error

That will dump both sides of a C64 disk in one pass on my JU-475-5! One word of warning, NEVER abort a dump when the head is stepped negatively past Track 0, this will leave the head in limbo and unable to find Track 0 so will bang the head repeatedly against the drive stop looking to step back to Track 0. If you do happen to do this, power off the drive and Kryoflux as per manual and then slowly rotate the stepper motor until the head has passed the Track 0 sensor, when powered back up it will step back to Track 0.

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:13 pm

Above it says "modded drive"?

Steverd

Post by Steverd » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:46 am

I got the drive from sncboom2k - it is modded

Below is what I will try tonight (thoughts?)

Here is the command line I use in my batch files for a generic dump of a commodore 64/128 disk.

dtc -p -b-8 -fD:\dumpdir\Raw_Dumps\%1\%1_ -i -i2 -y -g2 -i6 -t3 -l8 -dd1

Anyway for this to work in the GUI? Or will I just have to use the command line from now on?

Thank you
Steve

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:37 am

If you create G64 presets for both sides plus you set the offset for side 1 in the preferences, this works fine in the GUI. Will try and create a How-to with pics. Just so much to do atm.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:57 pm

Steverd wrote:Also this drive reads 83 tracks and I always end up with 168 RAW files. I guess that is confusing for me with C64 disk are 35-40 tracks. Are they half tracks? Like the track4.0.raw and track4.1.raw?
Disks can be more than 40 tracks though it's very rare, I believe I discovered at least one disk (IK+ iirc) that had copy protection on track 41 when nibbling it.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Feltzkrone

Post by Feltzkrone » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:03 pm

mr.vince wrote:If you create G64 presets for both sides plus you set the offset for side 1 in the preferences, this works fine in the GUI. Will try and create a How-to with pics. Just so much to do atm.
Here are some pics...

Setting up your drive options properly for dumping C64 disks:
GUI - Output Settings: Let the GUI create log files just in case you need them
GUI - Output Settings: Let the GUI create log files just in case you need them
GUI - Tick Density Line High for enabling of "DD Mode" for Panasonic drives
GUI - Tick Density Line High for enabling of "DD Mode" for Panasonic drives
GUI - Advanced Settings: Track offset of -8 for Side 1/B
GUI - Advanced Settings: Track offset of -8 for Side 1/B

Image profiles for creating D64 and G64 images for both sides:

For both D64 and G64 be sure to select the second list item for "CBM DOS sector image" or "CBM GCR image" resepectively. This will enable error maps for D64 files and mastering info for G64 files which DTC makes use of to be able to properly remaster disks using these G64 files.
GUI - G64 Image Profile: 40 tracks will keep the images free from half tracks containing just cross talk
GUI - G64 Image Profile: 40 tracks will keep the images free from half tracks containing just cross talk
GUI - D64 Image Profile
GUI - D64 Image Profile

Image profile selection for dumping:
GUI - Select Outputs
GUI - Select Outputs
KFSelectOutputs.png (9.08 KiB) Viewed 1896 times

Hope that helps.

IFW

Post by IFW » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:23 pm

It's worth checking what is the correct density switch (-DDx) even for Panasonic drives, as yours may have the factory default set to DD, in which case you want to keep it that way, other drives have the default as HD.
Unfortunately this changes from drive to drive, and between different models and revisions...
The easiest way to test is to dump a disk where only one side contains data and zip compress all of the tracks.
First do this with -DD0 setting, then with -DD1.
The setting (-DD0 or -DD1) that enables the drive to read disks in DD mode is where the zip file is significantly smaller. This is due to the reduced noise level from unformatted tracks in DD mode.
Please note, that some drives only work correctly for DD disks with only one setting (e.g. Newtronics), while others (most Panasonic) work fine in either mode, but results are a lot better with DD mode properly selected.