Physically mounting the Kryoflux

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
koffeiniker

Physically mounting the Kryoflux

Post by koffeiniker » Sat May 31, 2014 12:35 am

In a topic for "compatible drives" I read about problematic drives that cannot be "freely cabled" because they are not fully enclosed. Somebody answered with a base of Plexi for such an assembly. But plexi is difficult to handle.

Gentlemen, despite of being a noob on the Kf ... on such a matter I believe to be reasonably skilled. Let me describe a few options ... take it as my way of saying "Hi!"

Choose your base-board:
- hightech: in your local DIY market you typically get wood cut to order, these departments often also cut for you a special type of board made of - I believe paper and plastic/glue called - I believe - HPL (high pressure laminate). That stuff is very versatile: you can cut it with any saw, you can drill holes and even cut threads into it. I used one of these to cut threads to mount an Apple IIe board onto such a board and mount the whole combination into an ATX Midi-Tower: stylish and professionallook. I was really surprised. Needless to say the board does not conduct electricity. It is not too cheap, but you do not need much of it.

- lowtech: just wood, use some simple angled mounts from the DIY to mount the drive and some 3M mounting tape (double-sided foam tape) to mount the PCB. Sounds improvised? Use a nice piece of wood, like a breakfeast-board or even some chopping-board for the kitchen (I am German, I hope I used the right vocab). I admit: I use Ikea breakfast boards ... cheap to buy plus a nice surface-finish. ;-). The small ones are great to fasten a Microcontroller Board like an Arduino or ... a Kryoflux plus something else like Breadboards ... or drives. If you want to use tape rather than screws ... prefer a coated/varnished one, or at least something with a really smooth surface.

The mounting tape:

In Germany such tape is e.g. sold by tesa as "POWERBOND Montageband" (will I be punished for stating the brand?), I suppose every major brand for tapes offers something like this. What you actually look for is a double sided mounting tape made of white foam sized at about 1mm thinkness and about 40mm width. Ever bought one of those cheep hooks for the bathroom to glue to the wall? That type of tape! You might even mount the drive with that: the package boasts with a holding force 60kg/m, so ... say you take 2x10cm to mount the drive: 12kg ... should do! The tape does not conduct, so it is simply great for the task.

An alternative would be Velcro-dots or-tape. This especially if you want to swap different drives in place.

Now for the Kryoflux:

Being a noob I should express myself carefully ... but really ... who decided for 2mm mounting holes? I looked for matching distance-/mounting-clips. Difficult to find ... really. 3mm or 4mm you get for cheap money everywhere. For this reason: mounting-tape seems to be a perfect option. The foam structure kind of compensates for the through-the-whole-soldering, so the tape glues without problems. Using Velcro is also possible: there is enough flat surface on the lower side of the Kf so it will be fine.

Mounting the drives:
Ok, you want to mount the 3.5 inch drive to the board? Tape it! You want to be able to change it? A few bucks for one of these plastic adapters to mount them in a 5.25 bay: glue that to the board and just mount the drive in it with standard screws.

Which way is yours?

What comes now is actually the call for you creativity:
- you may use a large base to glue/screw the Kf and the drive(s) side by side
- you may use the drive upside down, screw an HPL-board to the drive and glue the Kf on it (while upside-down operation may come in problematic as at least 5.25 drives as far as I know are only spec'd for normal or vertical operation).
- you may mount the HPL board to the side (to save costs on the HPL-size)
- you may buy an old SCSI case for one or two drives (I did) and glue the Kf on its inside, using a small piece of HPL to make sure their is proper insulation.
- you may use HPL and the tape to bring your own ideas to life (like just gluing the Kf on HPL into your PC case?

Maybe someone starting with the Kryoflux wants a board to mount all the stuff on that comes together in less than 10 minutes ... now you know how!