New 8" drive

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
shirsch

Re: New 8" drive

Post by shirsch » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:36 pm

How about 5-1/4" hard sector diskettes? No special drive necessary to read them, just software capable of handling the extra index pulses. I would be glad to send you media if that's the sticking point.

IFW

Post by IFW » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:18 pm

There was some disucssion about that in the past:
1, disk(s) are needed with known good content
2, possibly a different firmware for hard sectored disks, as the index pulse is used for quite a lot of things and there is not much space left for changes
3, the host software requires changes to the handling of the index pulse as well - it's being used for lots of tracking/verification/tests.
As a solution with less impact and possible regressions I could imagine a solution where the "real" (track) index pulse is auto-detected by the firmware as well as the host software, and the rest of the index signals are simply removed/hidden to keep all systems working as is - however I am not sure how viable that solution is, ie whether the aditional index pulses are really needed to find the sectors on a track or not.

Rakki

Post by Rakki » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:28 am

How about adding a switch to DTC in order to avoid problems with Apple II disks that are often written on hard sectored disks?

Apple II doesn't use index holes at all so in that sense support for ignoring hard sectored disks extra holes would be helpful.

There can be for example 1, 5, 6, 7, 8 or 13 holes on the 5.25" disks and those disks were cheap back then. I'll start to search hard sectored disks with Apple II games / applications in order to get some test disks and data.

IFW

Post by IFW » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:27 pm

Thanks some sample disks (with known good data!) would be great help.