New dillema... possible bad transistors all along?

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
doffo

New dillema... possible bad transistors all along?

Post by doffo »

Yoo,

Well turns out that all along my damn 2n2222 transistors may have been bad all along... I modified another Panasonic drive, and now the damn thing doesnt even care to step back 8 tracks.... Now I know I modified the drive correctly like my other previous one that works, but this transistor I used were from the batch I bought and used on my other DS-53A drives which I thought were impossible to mod... Now I want to know, is the 2n2222 the only transistor that can be used or do you know of other transistor numbers that can also be used?? I need to get another batch of transistors to use and try out... So I hope that my other drives infact can be flippy drives.... :) :)

Thanks..

Harry

Re: New dillema... possible bad transistors all along?

Post by Harry »

My voltmeter offers determination of amplification of a transistor, so it is easy to detect if the transistor works correctly (gain should be somewhat between 30 and 1000).

This is a NPN transistor with E connected to the pin just on the nose, the medium pin as B and the last pin as C. If you are not sure look for "2n2222 datasheet" on google.

Edit: On a quick search, multimeters with gain (hFE) determination seem to have died out. I could only find the iClever® Mastech MS8264 on Amazon with such a function. (appr. 30€)

ZrX

Post by ZrX »

There exists countless types of generic NPN transistors in the world that will work for this purpose as long as you get the pins in correct order. I use whatever I manage to pick from my parts bin.

For this type of simple use pretty much everything works.

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince »

Yes, just make sure it's NPN. The reason I originally chose was... It was the first match when I ordered some spare parts.

doffo

Post by doffo »

The first transistor ive used on my first Panasonic drive worked....... Then now for some reason the last 2-3 drives ive used the transistors ive used it gave me the same issue. I will take my kryoflux and the drive to my brother's shop and solder in a new transistor and see whats going on... I also ordered new ones from another source just to rule out if my batch was bad... :) Thanks for the input.. more input is appreciated!

doffo

Post by doffo »

False alarm.......

Just resoldered and everything was fine for the Panasonic, but it's a no go for the DS-53A drives.