Commodore 8050

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
Vipersan

Re: Commodore 8050

Post by Vipersan » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:15 pm

is it possible I might get some help ..re dumping disks made on my 8050 PET dual drive ?
I only have a couple ..one of which has some games on it ..
about a twenty in total ..
As you can see from the attached photo ..the directory structure is intact ..and the games likely to have survived.
I'd like to archive for posterity ..but no idea where to start ?
what format to select ..tracks sectors etc ..nor what format to save the dump in ?
any help would be greatly appreciated ..as copying the disk might not be possible ..
The 8050 is a dual drive unit ..but drive'0' is a bit tempramental.

OR ..perhaps I can just at least clone the disk to a new floppy as a temporary measure..
Can I just dump it as a RAW ..then use Wildwutz to write it back as a clone image?

rgds
Attachments
DSCF0004.JPG

ZrX

Post by ZrX » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:59 pm

Without something hooked up into your PET/drive to dump the disks to a imagefile or a microstepping drive you really can't get everything out of those disks.

Tho a third method would be to misalign a drive on purpose to dump a disk at different alignment positions but you really don't to do that.

Vipersan

Post by Vipersan » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:52 am

Thanks for replying..
I guess the mental picture I have in my head of more tracks on the disk ..closer together ..and a head passing over that is too wide is correct then ..
The head of a standard 5.25" drive possibly reading more than one track at once..or at least a track and a bit ?
hmm ..
I guess I will have to find another way like just load and write each program at a time ..disk swapping on drive '1' of the 8050 till its cloned.
cheers.

Vipersan

Post by Vipersan » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:40 am

One of the Disks I -need- preserving is my copy of 8050 DEMO ..which has some disk utilities on it ..
Not convinced the disk is 100% ..but I did manage to copy a program off it onto a new/oldstock floppy freshly formatted.
'Check Disk Program'
It is currently running and checking itself ..
..a painfully slow process..
What it does indicate is the number of tracks and sectors on the floppy ..which is useful info.
2074 blocks
24 sectors per track.
77 tracks

completed no bad blocks.

I guess thats odd in itself

SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:54 pm

I think Tandon made some 100TPI drives with shugart style interfaces (The TM100-3M and TM100-4M). Such would work with a Kryoflux but I don't know if those would have issues reading GCR. Incredibly rare and probably not worth hunting down for just a couple of disks. But if someone else had that configuration, it would be interesting to see the results.

ZrX

Post by ZrX » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:21 pm

I did dump some lab-used 100 TPI PET-floppies few years ago with a microstepper and was able to construct one of the disks from hand selected tracks.

Slow process and lots of manual work but it did work out.