Modded drive, how to read in one pass?

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
doffo

Modded drive, how to read in one pass?

Post by doffo » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:46 am

*Had this in the wrong sub forum*

Hello.

I finally managed to get my Pansonic drive modded... It did backup a C64 disk correctly and ran fine under WinVICE, but my concern is that it only dumped one side of the disk.... I thought the disk drive mod allowed for both sides to be dumped?

Also, if the Panasonic drive was not modded and left alone stock, would it even be able to copy C64 disks one side at a time with you having to flip it manually or would it be impossible since it needs to go negative tracks?

Thanks. I am one step closer so I can start uploading some original C64 disks.

Edsel007

Re: Modded drive, how to read in one pass?

Post by Edsel007 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:11 am

Hello.
doffo wrote: I finally managed to get my Pansonic drive modded... It did backup a C64 disk correctly and ran fine under WinVICE, but my concern is that it only dumped one side of the disk.... I thought the disk drive mod allowed for both sides to be dumped?
Right. But you have to tell the software (dtc) to do so. Here's my command line for dumping disks in standard cbm format (-i6):

Code: Select all

dtc -p -b-8 -f"g:\dumpdir" -i0 -y -g2 -i6 -t20 -l8 
dtc -h tells you what effect all these flags have.
doffo wrote: Also, if the Panasonic drive was not modded and left alone stock, would it even be able to copy C64 disks one side at a time with you having to flip it manually or would it be impossible since it needs to go negative tracks?
Afaik yes, as long as the disk has two index holes you can dump each side by flipping the disk. But the majority of C64 disks only got one index hole.

doffo

Post by doffo » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:28 pm

Thank you for your input. I will let you know how it works out once I grab some of my C64 disks and copy them over. Will I know towards the end if it copied all tracks and didnt error out on the last 8 cylinders if the drive mod was right?

doffo

Post by doffo » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:48 pm

It did step back to -8, but im alittle worried about the "Control command rejected by the device." What would cause it?

------------------
C:\Documents and Settings\Kryo\Desktop\kryoflux\dtc>dtc -p -b-8 -f"c:\kryoflux"
-i0 -y -g2 -i6 -t20 -l8
KryoFlux DiskTool Console, v2.20, uiv.1, Feb 22 2013, 18:52:16
(c) 2009-2013 KryoFlux Products & Services Ltd.
Developed by The Software Preservation Society, www.softpres.org
Licensed for private, non-commercial use only.

-8.1[00]: CBM DOS: <unformatted>
-6.1[02]: CBM DOS: <unformatted>
-4.1[04]: CBM DOS: <unformatted>
-2.1[06]: CBM DOS: <unformatted>
00.0 : Control command rejected by the device
00.0 : CBM DOS: OK, trk: 001, sec: 21
00.1[08]: CBM DOS: <unformatted>
02.0 : CBM DOS: OK, trk: 002, sec: 21
02.1[10]: CBM DOS: <unformatted>

doffo

Post by doffo » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:45 pm

did it again with the disk being good on both sides, but still a command control error when it goes to Track 0.

When i try it in the GUI, and set it to read both sides and flippy mode on, it reads side 0 all good, but side 1 shows up as "unknown"

Not sure if I missed a vital step when I modded the drive.
Last edited by doffo on Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IFW

Post by IFW » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:49 pm

That's normal and is due to how the track0 logic works in all drives modded so far.

Edsel007

Post by Edsel007 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:18 pm

doffo wrote:It did step back to -8, but im alittle worried about the "Control command rejected by the device."
Hehe, I was also worried about this after dumping my first disk with my modded drive. So I asked the one that did the mod for me (Cheers! :D ) and he told me not to worry. This is normal behaviour. I've dumped several hundreds of disks now and it is still working great :)

doffo

Post by doffo » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:35 pm

Thanks! :)

@Edsel007, I just now successfully copied over two sides of a disk. I just used the command line version and that just lets me know the copy was fine. :)

Now I want to ready everything so that I may start copying all my originals and upload them. Is the following command line sufficient or what command line do I use so it makes files to upload?

dtc -p -b-8 -f"c:\kryoflux\gamename" -i0 -y -g2 -i6 -t20 -l8

Thanks again. I am just happy as hell the drive worked! :) Got a 2nd one that was given to me free and will flippy mod it another time.

Edsel007

Post by Edsel007 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:47 pm

doffo wrote: dtc -p -b-8 -f"c:\kryoflux\gamename" -i0 -y -g2 -i6 -t20 -l8
looks good. The only thing you'd have to change depending on the copy protection you are actually dumping, is the second -i flag.
The first -i0 is mandatory for creating the raw stream files (IFW can explain this more precisely, I think). The second -i is for error checking and doesn't affect the stream files.
What copy protection a game uses can be found here.

doffo

Post by doffo » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:42 pm

Thanks again. Very helpful information! I will snap a pic of all the boxed software I will backup and post it once I go upstairs and take them out of the big boxes of C64 software.