Still unsure which profile to use

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
BenG

Still unsure which profile to use

Post by BenG » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:15 am

At present, I'm only using the GUI to obtain images from 3-1/2" floppies.

Most of the floppies are of unknown origin/content, i.e. I don't know what type of computer created them.

I'm using a digital forensic application called FTK to analyse the disk images created by the KryoFlux application.

The only profile that seems to produce a valid image from floppy disks created by a modern 'Microsoft Windows' PC is 'MFM sector image'. When I say 'valid' I mean that the resulting .img file is roughly 1.5MB, i.e. similar to the floppy. The FTK application is able to read this .img file OK and extract the original files.

However, if I analyse older floppies of unknown original, the resulting MFM image is of size 0 bytes.

What am I doing wrong ? Is there not a profile that will read most floppies ?

Is there a chart somewhere explaining what each profile is for ?

Darkstar

Re: Still unsure which profile to use

Post by Darkstar » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:09 pm

You basically need to know what format your floppies are in order to use DTC properly. If you have no idea, all you can do is try every format and see what comes up.

But don't expect FTK to be able to open any of the generated (non-IBM-PC) dumps, they are specific to the corresponding computer (or an emulator) and can only be opened with specialized tools.

I agree that some sort of analysis tool that autodetects the image format (and any copy protections used) and understands the filesystem on the various image types would be desirable. But it's still a long way to go for something like that, the closest you can get is with Keirf's Disk Utilities, bot those are mainly tailored to Amiga disks, or MAME/MESS's imgtool.exe

-Darkstar

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:07 pm

Or one could use the Softpres Analyser which is perfectly suited for analysing and scripting such data and storing it as IPF images. It's the tool that built the standard.

Ben, will email you to arrange a demo.

Darkstar

Post by Darkstar » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:23 am

The Softpres Analyzer is not freeware, I thought BenG was looking for a free solution

BenG

Post by BenG » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:26 pm

Darkstar wrote:The Softpres Analyzer is not freeware, I thought BenG was looking for a free solution
No, not necessarily. However, KryoFlux and FTK has cost us a fair bit already so we don't have much spare cash ;)

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:43 pm

Everyone has the choice to pick a better product for a lower price. I just don't see that many disk analysers that are available and maintained and at the same time produce a format which actually set a standard.

Yes, it's commercial software. No one wants to work for free and good code and corresponding support costs money. And I think it's ok to say we try hard to reply in time and recommend / deliver solutions that work. Even for those (private, personal users) who got the software completely for free.

Darkstar

Post by Darkstar » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:31 am

How much does a license for the Analyzer cost? Is that the same as the "KryoFlux Commercial License" that was mentioned a few times before, but which I couldn't find any information for?

Maybe "pricing/licensing" and "features" pages for the analyzer would be nice, because right now it looks like that software is more like "internal use only" rather than true commercial software.

If it's reasonably priced I wouldn't mind buying a copy, but all I've seen so far suggests that this won't be possible

-Darkstar

TracyP

Post by TracyP » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:00 pm

Hi. I suspect that BenG. and I are likely to have similar issues. I, too am receiving a number of floppy disks from our archives that are of unknown origin/creation and would like to use FTK Imager or a tool like BitCurator/firwalk/Bulk Extractor to analyse the images. Ben, if you've come up with a solution and wouldn't mind sharing I'd love to hear about it - either privately or on the forum. Thanks!