Newbie "Whole new world"

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
althegregg

Newbie "Whole new world"

Post by althegregg » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:11 pm

Greetings, oh ones of great wisdom :-)

As the topic says I have entered a whole new world for me. So when explaining things please speak slow and LOUD.

I have bought and wired in my Kryoflux board. Installed the software (correctly me thinks) I need to get some basic text files off an Amstrad PC1512 Floppy disk (IBM format) 360K DS DD (I think) I have persuaded the DTC GUI to get me a .img file (MFM format).

Polite answers only please, What do I do with it????

Do I have to get stuck into PC emulators or can I just quickly and easily get the data (please tell me I can). I have an old 1512 drive but no way of connecting to any current PC :-(

Help appreciated please

IFW

Re: Newbie "Whole new world"

Post by IFW » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:46 pm

Depends on the content, really.
Is it commercial software or your own files?

althegregg

Post by althegregg » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:16 pm

It is my mothers text files. Not commercial software. I'm not sure why it matters but I am not making a penny or any other sum of money from this :-)

Darkstar

Post by Darkstar » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:23 pm

It doesn't really matter if it's commercial software or any other data (except if there's copy protection involved).

Look for a program called WinImage. (http://www.winimage.com) It's Shareware and you can open your image files and extract the data. It only works on IBM PC disks though (which would be correct in your case as you described it)

-Darkstar

Feltzkrone

Post by Feltzkrone » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:38 pm

You could also try EditDisk:
http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA013937 ... dex_e.html

Unluckily I can't say what licence applies to it as the readme.txt is written in Japanese, but it seems that this software is free as there is obviously no trial period, expiration or nag screens.

Darkstar

Post by Darkstar » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:00 pm

The Readme for EditDisk v1.69E2 is in English and states that it is freeware.
readme wrote: Copyright:
DiskExplorer is copyrighted by junnno (jun'no).

DiskExplorer is freeware.
You can copy and use this software without permission.
But you must contact junnno before placing in a publication.
I don't know how well it works with "non-standard" disk images (i.e. everything not 1.2 or 1.44 mb)

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:14 pm

althegregg wrote:It is my mothers text files. Not commercial software. I'm not sure why it matters but I am not making a penny or any other sum of money from this :-)
Commercial software usually is copy protected. Selfmade disks are not (should not), so IFW was trying which advice to give.

I can recommend TotalCommander with file system plugins to open the images created.

althegregg

Post by althegregg » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:12 pm

Thanks folks. I shall go away and play :-)

Darkstar

Post by Darkstar » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:00 pm

mr.vince wrote:Commercial software usually is copy protected. Selfmade disks are not (should not), so IFW was trying which advice to give.
In my experience, while that was true on the Amiga and C64, it was not the case on the PC. The usual copy protection there were dongles, manual checks or code sheets/wheels. I have (had) a lot of original PC software and only two programs I know of had on-disk copy protection (Stunt Car Racer and some obscure English learning program), almost all others had other means of protection
mr.vince wrote:I can recommend TotalCommander with file system plugins to open the images created.
Have you found one that can open 360k DD disk images? Or even 1.2MB ones? Every single plugin I tried only works with 1.4 MB (and maybe 1.2MB) and either crashes on others or simply doesn't open/detect them properly.

IFW

Post by IFW » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:49 pm

There are tons of PC disks that have on-disk protection, anything from late 80s is unlikely to have that though.