Windows 7 installation

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
jayh

Windows 7 installation

Post by jayh »

I received the interface and have set it up with my Amiga drive (correctly I hope). I also was finally able to figure out how to get Windows 7 to install the kryoflux driver, but I don't think it is installed in a way that the KryoFlux interface will use it. When I run "dtc.exe -c2" , it says "USB endpoint not found". When I look at the USB devices in Control Panel, it says that one of them is "KryoFlux Disk System", so that seems to be a partial success, but I don't know what that indicates to be working.

Can anyone help me debug this?
bluelite

Re: Windows 7 installation

Post by bluelite »

Did you turn it off and then on again?

I have a Mac and after installing the software I got the same error. Rebooting everything solved it.
jayh

Post by jayh »

I rebooted and checked the Kryoflux Disk System device that showed up in the "Computer Management" window when I plugged in the USB cable for the Kryoflux. It showed that the driver files being used are C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\winusb.sys, C:\Windows\system32\WdfCoInstaller01009.dll, and C:\Windows\system32\WinUSBCoInstaller2.dll, instead of the Kryoflux files.

So, I still don't have the proper driver being used. Any ideas for getting the driver files installed and used?

Jay
IFW

Post by IFW »

KF uses WinUSB to communicate so that sounds about right, however endpoint not found suggests that the device was not properly installed.
Can you access the device at all after the reboot?
mr.vince

Post by mr.vince »

Do the LEDs on the board do anything?
jayh

Post by jayh »

Yes, the LED lights on the board.
jayh

Post by jayh »

I'm convinced that I don't have the KryoFlux driver being used for that USB port, but I'm not sure how to force Windows 7 to use the KF driver.
BenG

Post by BenG »

Did you definately follow each step listed in the KF_Quickstart guide ?

You must do each step in order.
mr.vince

Windows 7 installation

Post by mr.vince »

When you open the device manager and plug in the KryoFlux board, what happens?
jayh

Post by jayh »

Before I plug in the KryoFlux board, when I open the Device Manager, and click on "Universal Serial Bus Controllers", it drops down a list of entries:
- Fresco Logic xHCI (USB3) Controller
- Generic USB Hub
- Intel(R) 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 3B3C
- Intel(R) 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 3B34
- KryoFlux DiskSystem
- USB Root Hub

When I right-click on the "KryoFlux DiskSystem", and click on "Properties", click the "Driver" tab, and click "Driver Details", it shows "Driver files:
C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\winusb.sys
C:\Windows\system32\WdfCoInstaller01009.dll
C:\Windows\system32\WinUSBCoInstaller2.dll".

So, it seems apparent that the KryoFlux driver is not being used for that port.

When I plug in the KryoFlux board USB, the LED lights on the board, the Device Manager windows goes blank, then redisplays, now with a second "KryoFlux DiskSystem" entry below the original one. The new entry shows the same driver files as the original "KryoFlux DiskSystem" entry (shown above).

In an attempt to connect the "KryoFlux DiskSystem" entry that popped up when I plugged in the board to the KryoFlux driver software, I right-click that entry and click "Update Driver Software", then click "Browse my computer for driver software" and then "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computers", then "Have Disk", then "Browse" and navigate to the location of the "KryoFlux USB driver.inf" file on my hard drive. I click "Open" and "OK", then "Next". The window says "Installing driver software", with a bar that grows green, then "Windows has successfully updated your driver software - Windows has finished installing the driver software for this device: KryoFlux DiskSystem". I click "Close".

At this point, the Device Manager window replots again. However, when I right-click on the "KryoFlux DiskSystem" entry that I tried to update the driver on, it still lists the driver files as the "winusb.sys" and .dll files that I quoted above, so it leads me to think that the driver never actually got updated.

To verify that, I can open a DOS window (run as administrator), navigate to the "dtc" folder, and type "dtc -c2". The output is "USB endpoint not found". When I run it for a second time (and as many times as I have patience for), it keeps saying "USB endpoint not found". If I try plugging the board into main power and re-running the "dtc -c2" command (like the Quick Start Guide says), it still says "USB endpoint not found".

To me, this seems to indicate that the KryoFlux driver is just not getting used at all, and if I can convince Windows 7 to actually use the KryoFlux driver, I might have a chance of getting the board to work. So, this may come down to no failing of the driver, but a failing of installing it. I kind of hate uninstalling the winusb driver, because I actually do want to use ordinary USB devices with this machine.

Is there a Windows 7 guru out there that can help me with this?

Thanks,
Jay