Write stream to disk

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
tomse

Write stream to disk

Post by tomse » Thu May 23, 2013 11:13 am

I've tried to write steam files back to an other disk set. but I keep
getting file not found errors.

dtc -f<folderdir> -w -i0
dtc -f<folderdir>\* -w -i0
dtc -f<folderdir>\*.raw -w -i0

dtc version 2.20

it might be obvious as -f probably expects a filename rather than a folderdir, but I can't seem to find any parameter to handle this.

Edsel007

Re: Write stream to disk

Post by Edsel007 » Thu May 23, 2013 11:31 am

afaik you can't write stream files back to disk.
You can write ipf, adf or g64 images back, though.

dtc -h for help

tomse

Post by tomse » Fri May 24, 2013 1:33 pm

it says in the quickstart manual that you can.

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Fri May 24, 2013 11:15 pm

No, it does not. Unless some printing error would have crept in there.

Stream files are raw, uninterpreted data. Replicating such data would mean guessing, like those copy programs back in the day did. That would mean having a certain amount of success, but being unable to verfiy integrity. Blindly copying such old media is a gamble.

KryoFlux, as of today, only writes data that is well defined.

tomse

Post by tomse » Sat May 25, 2013 9:31 am

The text as quoted from the quickstart guide, and attached scan of page 7. it's in the bottom.
so.. Yes it does, thats a pretty large printing error.
The STREAM files (one file per cylinder/side) can be sent to the Software Preservation Society for further processing. They can as well be used to write the contents back to disk.
EDIT KryoFlux Team: It's enough to quote the text here, and people can look at the full color version in the PDF, no need store an additional scan on the server.

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Sun May 26, 2013 4:48 pm

It depends on how you want to read it. Yes, they contain all the info needed to create and write whatever format.

If you read the sections that deal with writing, in the manual and on the website the product can be bought from, you will see clear statements which formats are supported for writing as of today.

But I will make sure this gets worded more precisely, to avoid further misunderstandings. This is actually the first in over three years regarding this option.

tomse

Post by tomse » Sun May 26, 2013 5:01 pm

maybe people haven't read that part of the manual :lol:

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Sun May 26, 2013 10:55 pm

Or they just wanted to understand? ;)

It's pretty easy to see what KryoFlux can write, by looking at the web site, at the product in the web store, or in the manual or by running DTC. Here's the text from the web site:
  • Write back to disk. KryoFlux supports "one-click" writing of ADF, G64 and IPF files, with more formats in development.
As said before we'll adjust the quickstart to make sure it's defined more cleary, e.g. by making it clear that a the stream won't be written directly, but needs to be processed (analysed) first, to identify gaps and other "anomalies", like idependent sectors, as written on standard PCs instead of whole tracks. All these sector gaps have undefined data, possibly even weak bits, that should not be duped this was.