Short, Oxygen Free Copper, Gold plated USB leads?

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
clemfm

Short, Oxygen Free Copper, Gold plated USB leads?

Post by clemfm » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:19 am

Is there any value in using short leads etc?

If a USB lead is made to the USB specification, shorter leads made with OFC and terminated with gold plated connectors, shouldn't matter, however I wonder how may generic leads don't actually meet the USB specification......

Answering my own question, I tend to pay a little extra for OFC and gold on almost any lead whilst I always use the shortest possible lead.

Does anyone have any experience with lessor or better quality USB leads?

I'm a bit of a fan of https://de.hama.com/products/pc-noteboo ... data-cable , they seem to make quality leads at a reasonable price.

IFW

Re: Short, Oxygen Free Copper, Gold plated USB leads?

Post by IFW » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:09 pm

One thing worth keeping in mind: USB uses CRC for data transmission, so damaged packets either get repeated or dropped depending on the communication type.

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:25 am

This is hifi esoterism... :)

What makes sense is to use USB leads that have ferrite magnets (like the ones sold with KryoFlux) as they suppress any unwanted high frequency noise. The rest is digital. It either works or does not. If the driver ICs on both sides are within spec, all is fine.

IFW

Post by IFW » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:44 pm

Sorry, accidentally deleted clemfm's post :( I really need some sleep eventually...

Tor

Post by Tor » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:37 pm

Oxygen free copper, and all that stuff from, as IFW put it, hifi esoterism, is useless and just a way to scam people out of their money (and that's 100% true for hi-fi as well).

As for gold-plated, you don't want gold-plated unless what you connect to is _also_ gold-plated. In fact you do not want to connect different types of metal to each other. Back in the day when cards and connectors started to become common, what you had to keep straight was that gold-plated edge connectors were only meant for gold-plated slots. So, gold against gold, tin against tin.

When it comes to cable lengths, that's easy: USB 2.0 is designed to handle up to 5 metres of cable, USB 1.0 up to 3 metres. That's probably conservative, but in any case unless the cable is below standard spec anything up to those lengths should be fine. If you need more, insert a hub into the chain at every 5 metres (you can chain up to 5 hubs).

-Tor
Hostinfo: Debian SID x86_64 and i686

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:21 pm

Full ack. One thing: USB cables with shield are better than those cheap Chinese ones that are thin like a needle. Does not matter that much if you do not aim for high speeds, but I tend to ignore the cheap ones completely.

The KF USB cables are made by Foxconn.