Installing KryoFlux in Windows 8 / 10

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
DrCoolZic

Re: Installing KryoFlux in Windows 8 / 10

Post by DrCoolZic » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:11 pm

OK found a stable solution.
Open the device manager. Normally you should find under USB controller the Kryoflux DiskSystem
If instead you have under Port (COM LPT) an entry for "Bosso Program Port (ComXX)" double click and go to to "driver" tab and "Update driver". Select look for driver on my computer. Do not select look for the driver BUT "select from a list of driver on my PC". Now you should have the choice between "Bossa ..." and "KF ..." of course pick KF and click "disk provided" and locate the diver provided with KF
Now the driver should install and stay associated with KF. Restart your system with the internet connected and verify in the device driver that the entry for KF Disksystem is there ...

Now this work for me.
What is strange is that I did not have any problem on another Win 10 Home system???

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:57 pm

Because Microsoft has added AnnoyUser(tm) and SellCertificates(tm) to the feature list. Honestly, with users accepting more and more restrictions on mobile platforms, companies (e.g. also Apple) are fading out unsigned installs. It's like a virus and if course a business model.

For the record KryoFlux works well on 8.1 for Windows and 10.10 for MacOS.

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:16 pm

DrZoolZic, you could have saved yourself a lot of trouble reading this topic first ;)

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1038

DrCoolZic

Post by DrCoolZic » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:12 pm

Thanks hydro0x for the pointer I would never have thought that installation procedures are described in the "News" section of this site :lol:

Unfortunately none of the described procedures fix the problem for ever :(

It turn out that Windows 10 performs an automatic driver’s update. You may have notice that when you start Windows 10, you can sometimes hear a driver install/update sound (same sound as when you install a new USB key). This indicates that Windows has found a new driver and just installed it.
Therefore with the procedures described you will end up with the Kryoflux driver updated to Bossa Prog Port from time to time. As this does not happen every time Windows restart it is just a matter of reloading the correct driver every now and then when Kryoflux device is not found. Some people can leave with that, but I was not satisfied with this solution :o

Therefore Is there a permanent solution to this problem?
I believe I have found a permanent solution (actually two) 8-)

The first solution that you will find described in many places is to disable the automatic driver's update. I will not describe the procedure here as it is described in many places on the net:
For example at http://www.howtogeek.com/223864/how-to- ... indows-10/
or at http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/stop ... windows-10

While this solution fix the problem I would not recommend it because it is a good idea to keep you drivers updated to the latest version. :?

The best solution is to use the “Show or hide updates” utility from Microsoft.
You can find the program and documentation here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

Microsoft describe the driver update problem as follow
In Windows 10, your device is always kept up to date with the latest features and fixes. Updates and drivers are installed automatically, with no need to select which updates are needed or not needed. In rare cases, a specific driver or update might temporarily cause issues with your device, and in this case you will need a way to prevent the problematic driver or update from reinstalling automatically the next time Windows Updates are installed.

If you can’t use your Kryoflux board (device not found error) here the detail procedure:

1 - open the device manager. Locate under the Port category an entry for Bossa Program Port.
bossa.PNG
bossa.PNG (7.35 KiB) Viewed 1014 times
2 - right click the Bossa entry and select de-install in the popup select suppres the driver for this peripheral and click OK
3 - Start the wushowhide.diagcab program that you have downloaded from the above link
4 - click next and select "Hide the update"
hide bossa.PNG
5 - select Adruino Bossa Program Port and click next
6 - Check that the problem is fixed and close the program.
corrected bossa.PNG
corrected bossa.PNG (6.92 KiB) Viewed 1014 times
7 - In the device manager click the check HW modification button. This will reinstall the Bossa Prog device.
8- right click the Bossa device and select the update driver and select look for the driver on my computer
9 - I assume that you have already installed the Kryoflux driver. Select the second option "choose from a list of driver", next, you should be presented with a list of compatible devices
10 - Select the KryoFlux driver and click Next. The next window should tell you that that Windows has completed the installation of the driver.
11 - Check in the USB controller family that the driver for Kryoflux is now installed and that Bossa device is gone
12 - Run the "Calibrate" command from DTC Gui (kryoflux-ui.jar) to make sure everything works fine.
13 - You can double check that the Bossa device is gone and that the Kryoflux device is still there in the device manager.

As you have disabled the check of the Bossa Prog Port device driver update, the Kryoflux DiskSystem driver should never change back to Bossa driver.

So far it seems to be working for me after many restart of Windows :mrgreen:

DrCoolZic

Post by DrCoolZic » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:39 pm

A little bit more complex but interesting is the procedure only available if you are using Windows 10 Pro or entreprise

Go to this page http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/take-back- ... indows-10/
Search for the Local Group Policy Editor and follow the procedure described here for the Kryoflux HW

Look for the KF HW id
kf id.PNG
kf id.PNG (7.41 KiB) Viewed 1014 times
Right click one of these id and select copy

In the Device Installation Restrictions paste the HW id
restrict.PNG
As explained this should restrict the update of the KF device ...

DrCoolZic

Post by DrCoolZic » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:28 pm

Question for Kryoflux people.

Looks like the Kryoflux device ID "USB\VID_03EB&PID_6124" is already in use for BOSSA Program Port device. This is causing a lot of pain especially in Windows 10. :?
see for example http://sciencespaces.com/search/USB%5CV ... -PID_6124/

Would it be possible to update the Kryoflux firmware to have a different HW/Device ID ?

IFW

Post by IFW » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:36 pm

That is the device ID of all of the ATMEL based programmable devices.
Bossa should not have been accepted as the user of this by whoever makes driver certificates at Windows... it is owned by ATMEL, not Bossa or KF.
Without making firmware update hell for our users, we should use this ID as long as we use this chip - and Bossa must stop claiming they own it - ATMEL does.

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:21 pm

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:40 pm

BTW from the post above... it seems to be (maybe) related to some Arduino software installed. Although Windows can update installed drivers, it should not change drives based on USB ID assumptions. And while it prefers the Bossa driver for an initial setup, it's all fine here once installed.

So maybe you have some kind of Arduino development suite that will "fix" the driver assignment?

DrCoolZic

Post by DrCoolZic » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:43 pm

Too bad
Thanks guy for feedback.
Hopefully the proposed procedure should allow to stick to the right KF driver :)