where to find some IPF files to test out on KryoFlux?

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
hyperactive

where to find some IPF files to test out on KryoFlux?

Post by hyperactive » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:00 am

Hi there.
With any luck, my KryoFlux device will be ready to go tomorrow. I found someone who thinks they might be able to modify the drive and help connect everything all up for me.
Is there a place I can get some commodore c64 IPF files to write back so that I can test weather my device actually works?
Thanks.

sncboom2k

Re: where to find some IPF files to test out on KryoFlux?

Post by sncboom2k » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:45 am

It's my understanding that C64 IPF files do not exist yet at this point. (Only Amiga) So no write capability for C64 owners as of yet. It's on the list for the future along with blind write capability (obviously not the preferred method).

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:24 am

Exactly. With one minor correction: as of today there are IPFs for Amiga, Atari ST, Spectrum, CPC and PC.

We have 1,200+ dumps for C64 already, all good and verified. This includes rare titles like Little Computer People, Bounty Bob Strikes Back and others.

e5frog

Post by e5frog » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:44 pm

How about now?

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:35 pm

We still can't distribute such images, so even if we'd be having them at hand - we couldn't. We do supply authorized test images with the KF host software.

BarryB

Post by BarryB » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:41 pm

Does that mean any one who has submitted C64/C128 dumps will never get IPF's?

Feltzkrone

Post by Feltzkrone » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:36 pm

If we have proof of ownership (which is the case when dumps are submitted) people will eventually do get IPFs for their C64/C128 games. But the IPF format must be extended to support GCR encoding (not really much more than adding new enum constants) and the processing toolchain needs to be changed before being able to make official C64 IPF releases (i.e. transition from the Analyser to SPStudio which is where the main work to be done resides). Unfortunately there's no schedule for that plus we don't want to make any promises which we possibly can't fulfil.

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:27 pm

Development time is spent where it's needed - GCR IPFs can be made when other tasks have been finished. As an interim solution G64s made work very well and can even be written back to disks.

Please keep in mind that SPS is not a profit center and with the donations that came in over the last four years, you can barely buy an iPhone...

BarryB

Post by BarryB » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:12 am

iPhones are expensive :lol:

While G64 is a good 'alternative' to IPF, I gather it's not the best format for C64, hence IPF creation being preferred as it's the 'best' available! The other much talked about 'feature' of Kryoflux is self scripted IPF, has that made much progress or is it just another fringe consideration that has low priority in the grand scheme of SPS?

IFW

Post by IFW » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:41 pm

It's a top priority, as it's required for many other functionalities that depend on it, including our next-gen analyzer/workflow system.
However, it depends on changes and features I am currently working on for the next DTC release.