command rejected for maxtrack on 5.25" DD drives

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
hkzlab

command rejected for maxtrack on 5.25" DD drives

Post by hkzlab »

Hello,
i have tried my three 5.25" DD drives with the kryoflux device, all of them work and are able to dump disks, but none of them reports the correct maxtrack when i run "dtc -c2": the heads move, but then i get a "Control command rejected by the device" error, and maxtrack=0. I have tried the slow firmware too, no change (except for the noise made by the heads moving).
The "dtc -c2" command works OK on all my 3.5" and 5.25" HD drives though, reporting sane values... what could that be?

firefly

Re: command rejected for maxtrack on 5.25" DD drives

Post by firefly »

Jumper settings on the drives?

hkzlab

Post by hkzlab »

If you mean that jumper settings could be the coulprit, maybe... here are the status of jumpers on one of these DD drives:
ID jumper set to DS1,
UA/DA set on DA
MS/MM set on MM
TM set (closed)
RY unset (open)

I see no other switches, and don't have the faintest idea on what these are as i don't have the manual for this drive (matsushita drive, so many strings printed on it that i don't know which one is the model no.)

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince »

I'm on the road atm...

Could it be these are 40 track devices?

Malvineous

Post by Malvineous »

I think these are probably 40 track drives. When I tried mine the stepper motor went all the way to the end then made a clicking noise like it was trying to seek further but was physically blocked from doing so. I also got an error. I wonder whether this is because of something in the drive, or because DTC is expecting 80 tracks and by the time it gets that far the drive is returning errors?

On that note, I am also curious why DTC has a limit of track 83 when using -c2. Is there a technical reason why you can't send a command to a floppy to seek to the 85th track?

IFW

Post by IFW »

84 is the physical limit as long as you keep the standards.
40 track drives are not supported for calibration atm, I'll need to get hold of one to make it work.

hkzlab

Post by hkzlab »

yes, i'm pretty sure mine ARE 40 track devices, guess this explains it then :)

Malvineous

Post by Malvineous »

Weird, I was going to look at updating the calibration code but my 5.25" DD drive doesn't seem to like KryoFlux at all now. When dtc resets the KryoFlux the drive makes a horribly loud grating noise, it seems like it is trying to seek back beyond track 0 and the stepper motor won't go that far. Then dtc tells me either the reset failed or "Device control command failed". My own program causes the same horrible grating sound no matter what command is sent to the device.

This is with the slow firmware. With the normal firmware there is no horrible sound, but the head just seems to seek forward and back one track then reports "Control command rejected by the device".

Looks like there's more than just the number of tracks that's different with these drives...

EDIT: Not sure if it will help, but this drive uses a Mitsubishi M51017AP controller IC (datasheet)

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince »

Let's see what happens when you use this one:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29

Malvineous

Post by Malvineous »

No joy - the horrible grating sound is faster (higher pitch, finishes sooner) but I still get the error:

Code: Select all

$ ./src/dtc -c2 -l15
00013971: status=0
Device does not support Reset command
If I manually push the head in then running dtc moves it all the way back to track 0 then it makes the horrible grating sound briefly before the above error.

I might have to put the drive back into a PC just to make sure it's still working (although I last used it only a couple of months ago.)

What exactly does this firmware reset command do? It almost seems like it can't detect that it has reached track zero. What *should* the firmware do in this situation?