Using KryoFlux with Linux

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
IFW

Re: Using KryoFlux with Linux

Post by IFW » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:41 am

As far as I am aware, this has been changed a while ago to the "vendor specific" values you posted - so it shouldn't look like anything at all. So I guess, the next linux sw update will be like that :)

IFW

Post by IFW » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:44 am

Yes, just checked, it's "vendor specific" in the fw.

Malvineous

Post by Malvineous » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:48 am

Excellent! That will make things much easier for Linux and Mac users.

isdxman

Post by isdxman » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:53 am

Hi Malvineous,

Not quite sure what the two replies by IFW and your last reply are about?

Just to inform you (and everyone else) that I now have the KryoFlux working in Linux.

I'm so very pleased about this and would like to thank you and everyone else who replied to my post - thanks very much chaps!

The final answer was in the "blacklisting". I wrote the script for the blacklisting in "Leafpad" and then moved this file to "/etc/modprobe.d/", re-booted the computer and away it went!

Overall, setting this up has given me a few headaches but, as a newcomer to Linux, I've learnt a lot.

Very best regards to Malvineous and all,

isdxman.

:) :lol: 8-)

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:30 am

The change to vendor specific as outlined above means that upcoming Linux versions should not need blacklisting anymore. The device will tell the computer that there is no generic driver compatible with it ("vendor specific") and it is therefore not allowed to bind a generic driver.

We still have to test what this means in regard to the initial state - we don't flash firmware onto the chip, therefore it comes as a naked ATMEL chip. I think that some digital camera "abused" that ID, so we'll see if the problem goes away completely.

Tor

Post by Tor » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:08 pm

(I wasn't monitoring the forum the last couple of weeks so this is a bit late)

@isdxman: To get access to the /dev/usb* devices you should add yourself to the group with access to the serial devices. This is much better than executing as root. So, what you do is to
- plug in kryoflux (this will make the correct /dev/usb* device appear)
- You may enter 'dmesg' (without quotes) to see the name of the device that appeared. It lists the kernel messages, and the last ones are at the end.
- Do 'ls -l /dev/ttyUSB0' (or whatever usb it is, and without the 'quotes')
- Check which group it is. On my system (Debian) it's 'dialout', something like:

Code: Select all

crw-rw---T 1 root dialout [...] /dev/ttyUSB0
(On some distros that would be 'uucp', i.e. 'root uucp')
- Add your own account to the group (dialout or uucp or whatever). It appears that you're on a variant Ubuntu distribution, if so then it's easy: Execute the command
adduser your-name dialout
as root, e.g.

sudo adduser your-name dialout
- If you're on an RPM-based distro like SuSE or RedHat, the command 'adduser' doesn't exist. The easiest way (will even work on Ubuntu/Debian/Unix too) is to manually edit the file /etc/group and add yourself to the right group. On my system it's 'dialout' and it looks like this (my account is 'tor'):

$ grep dialout /etc/group
dialout:x:20:tor
- Log completely out of your computer
- Log in again. Open a shell. Enter 'id' (without quotes). It will list what groups you're a member of. 'dialout' should now be one of them (if that was a group).
- You now have user access to /dev/ttyUSB0 (or whatever).
- That same procedure works for /dev/audio (for access to sound), /dev/video0 (webcam), cdrom, (group cdrom), floppy etc. You shouldn't need root access for any of them, just add yourself to a group with access.

Lastly, all of the above group management can probably be done with one of those desktop system GUI features, but a) I don't use them so I don't know them, b) they'll be different for every distro or desktop, and c) the command line procedure I described will work on all distros, and even other Unix and Unix-like systems.

-Tor
Hostinfo: Debian SID x86_64 and i686

isdxman

Post by isdxman » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:04 pm

Hi there Tor,

Thanks for your very interesting last post and sorry for the delay replying.

The distribution I'm using is Linux Xubuntu 12.04 (precise pangolin).

I've tried the command "dmesg" and this is the reply I get from the machine:- "usb 4-1 : new full-speed USB device number 2 using uhci_hcd".

This is corrrect because this line doesn't exist before insertion of the KryoFlux but does exist afterwards and it is the last line!

However, the folder or file "ttyusb 4-1 cannot be found in my Linux version!

Maybe you can help further on this?

Best regards,

isdxman.

:?

Tor

Post by Tor » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:23 pm

I'm on the run (dinner's waiting) so can't fully investigate this at the moment (as in: plugging in the kryo..), but do try 'ls -lrt /dev' and look for any new /dev/ttyUSB device (ls -lrt is reverse time-sorted, i.e. the latest created device file at the bottom).

-Tor
Hostinfo: Debian SID x86_64 and i686

isdxman

Post by isdxman » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:41 pm

Hi again Tor,

Hope you enjoyed your dinner!

Tried what you suggest and received the following answer:- "crw-rw-rw- 1 root tty 5, 2 Aug 19 20:15 ptmx". The spacing of the characters may be wrong, but that is what I got.

Does this mean that my group is "tty 5"?

I'm out all day tomorrow until evening but look forward to your answer.

Best regards,

isdxman.

:roll:

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:46 pm

I'd say your group is "tty", so how about trying that?