Looking for info about copy protection used in Australia

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
hyperactive

Re: Looking for info about copy protection used in Australia

Post by hyperactive »

btw: can you send me a link where I can get the spy vs. spy flux stream from? I'd like to examine that one.
Cheers.

ZrX

Post by ZrX »

Aki recently found OziSoft/Anco Thai Boxing which seems to use this protection.

DTC marks the two tracks the protection uses as unformatted and thus doesn't generate them into g64.

I also suspect something with Vice drive emulation causes it to fail...

1. LOAD"*",8,1 autostarts a small bit a code
2. That code then MEMORY-EXECUTEs a bit of code hiding in the Block Allocation Map
3. This then loads another part of code, which uses itself to calculate one opcode for yet another part
4. Which then checks track 38 for specific byte after the SYNC, then steps to track 39
5. Then sets a timer, and unless the timer runs out, starts reading from the first found SYNC

Loading with Vice the timer always runs out. If the timercode is removed it always reads from wrong part of track 39.

hyperactive

Post by hyperactive »

I must add that this scheme is a little dodgy. When repeatedly loaded (on real hardware at least,) the protection sometimes damages the data on the higher tracks, a little bit at a time,
So eventually, after a x number of uses, these tracks will become completely unreadable, and the protection won't pass.
btw: I still have your copy of express raider that you patched for me during one of your late night irc sessions in early 2011, and that g64 actually does work on the latest vice sps.
ps: I suspect the protection was written on consumer hardware rather than on a trace duplicator.

hyperactive

Post by hyperactive »

Hi IFW.
you said earlier on that you don't have any good dumps of paradroid. There's a copy that ZRX and I patched that has the boot code on track 36 fully intact.
It's a .g64, would you like me to send it to you?

hyperactive

Post by hyperactive »

Just found a version of Alleykat which uses this protection.
Unfortunately my KF drive is on the blink so I can't dump it until I get it fixed.
Cheers

hyperactive

Post by hyperactive »

Ah, George was rather thorough wasn't he? He must have had intricate knowledge of the 15x1s inner workings
Most of track 38 is riddled with random garbage in an effort to stymie copiers and nibblers, with the needed data written onto the end of the track. No wonder KF couldn't make sense of it.
His system was ahead of it's time.