questions about flux stream to g64

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
Feltzkrone

Logging DTC screen output in Windows

Post by Feltzkrone » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:55 pm

To get a log file without using the GUI I recommend a Windows version of "tee" known from Linux, which will save standard out (text that appears on the console) additionally to a file.
  • Get wtee.exe here: http://code.google.com/p/wintee/downloads/list
  • Place wtee.exe in some directory which is in the PATH variable or in the dir, from which you call DTC
  • Add the following to your DTC command line in order to get a log file additionally to the console output:
    2>&1 | wtee logfile.log
"2>&1" routes all standard error output to standard out and then with "| wtee" you send standard out to wtee which will write it to the log file for you.

For example like this:
DTC.exe -l15 -fC:\Kryoflux\GUI Images\Aliens.g64.img -g2 -y -i22 -m1 -fC:\Kryoflux\GUI Images\Aliens\track -i0 -e83 2>&1 | wtee C:\Kryoflux\GUI Images\Aliens.log

IFW

Re: questions about flux stream to g64

Post by IFW » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:40 am

Things to see from your logs:

1, You really should only use the format level logging at this time, as the rest makes it very difficult to read. You can set this by using -l8, the output will be very clean and only the data we are actually interested in at this stage.

2, For dumping you use this command:
DTC.exe -l15 -fC:\Kryoflux\GUI Images\Aliens\track -g0 -i0 -i2 -d0 -p -e83

Compare this to the ones given before.
You will find, that there is no guide format specified at all.
In other words you are just blindly dumping a disk, and give the system no chance to verify what is being read.
Dislike some belief, blind reads are almost never correct for an entire disk, you are really pushing your luck here - and it as you can see later, it fails.
Instead (unless you just want to try your luck, or dump something for analysis) you should always specify the format to verify against during dumping, that's what we refer to as a guide format.
That way if some data is bad, it will be re-read automatically.

3, Since you already have bad data as the source for your g64, don't expect to it become somehow good - it won't.
Garbage in, garbage out.
Actually, during the g64 conversion you can now see all the bad tracks/sectors if you watch the output carefully.
It would be very evident what's happening if you used the -l8 option, ie restrict the output to format information only.

4, You add all the tracks to your 64 file. You hardly ever need that; DTC normally can automatically decide what's really needed, based on your preference.
In the case of c64, you should aim for only using every second track, ie use the option -k2 during the conversion.
Again, please try the commands posted before for this.
This does NOT mean that protection data on half-tracks won't be included, DTC can automatically recognise such data (for example the Xemag protection, regardless of its exact location on the disk or a disk like Bounty Bob with spira-tracks) and will include it in the image - it just won't use junk/crosstalk from the unused tracks, because you told it you don't want all the data, just what it thinks is necessary.

Please dump and convert your disk using the commands discussed/posted before and post your log only for the format decoding. If you keep on using the GUI, please check the command generated based on your selection, and correct your settings until you get the desired values, e.g. select multiple formats correctly to enable integrity checks; stream+whatever c64 format your dump for imaging.

Please let us know of your progress :)

sncboom2k

Post by sncboom2k » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:23 am

I agree Pete - and at this point - I've been unsuccessful at creating a working G64. No further than a copy with nibtools or my supercard+. So I'm going to give the next drive a try when it arrives - or if Robert is able to repair my Panasonic - I'll give that another try.

Appreciate everyone's input.

Thanks,
Sncboom2k

sncboom2k

Post by sncboom2k » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:27 am

Thanks IFW - I did not see your post prior to responding to Pete. I will give this a try when I return from Vegas - so early next week. Thanks for the info - I'll try the commands you posted and get the log output corrected.

I'll look into that logging tool as well - appreciate all the info.

sncboom2k

Post by sncboom2k » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:50 pm

IFW,
This is the command I was using previous to the GUI - is it correct?
dtc.exe -p -fdumpdir\Program\Program_ -i0 -g0 -i2 -i6 -l8 -t10

I can replace the -i with the format check (protection) - and it still fails to load in VICE as a G64

The ones posted in my most recent (previous) posts are default from the GUI - I did not edit them. So the defaults were used by the GUI.

I've dumped a few more using the commands above in this post and they do not work either. I've already provided the dump log for those - any thoughts?

Thanks,
Sncboom2k

IFW

Post by IFW » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:20 pm

dtc.exe -p -fdumpdir\Program\Program_ -i0 -g0 -i2 -i6 -l8 -t10
looks a lot better, than the commands used later :)
Please only change the -i6 to whatever format the disk is using, see DTC -h for a list of those.

I am not sure what you are referring to, as I've already answered before, please check those anwers - nothing has changed since, but a short summary:

DoTC: bad boot track in your log, ie track 38.0. I listed a few possible solutions there ;)
Aliens: bad dump.

Can't see any other log posted here.

Could you please post the logs (with -l8 only) for the ones you have problem with.
Let's start with Aliens :)
Please dump Aliens with the correct command quoted here, then convert it using something like:
dtc -m1 -fAliens -i0 -fAliens.g64 -k2 -i22 -l8

Then please the logs you are getting for exactly these commands - of course you can change the file names to whatever you prefer - just make sure you use the exact same name at the -f<Name> -i0 sequences.

IFW

Post by IFW » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:40 pm

As for the GUI you must select <multiple output> formats for the dumping to be not "blind" (ie without integrity checks), but at this stage until we can get you up to speed with a few g64 images, I'd recommend using the command line as it's easy to see what's going wrong as long as you follow the above steps.

sncboom2k

Post by sncboom2k » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:50 pm

The drive made all the difference. The command line I was using from several posts ago works fine now. I have now successfully made working G64 images of the following games using the TEAC 55GFR (I tried 2 different TEAC 55FR's and they did not produce good results) - The 1.2m version makes a big difference.

Working in Vice:
Defender of the Crown (Side 1 required -i19 Vmax, Side 2 did not require the vmax switch)
Aliens (No special protection format used)
Predator (No special protection format used)
Star Rank Boxing ( -119 VMAX required)

Failed to load completely in Vice with or without the appropriate -i switch:
Superstar Ice Hockey (VMAX)
4th & Inches (RapidLok)

Having fun with this. I'll test more as time permits.

Thanks again for the help.

Sncboom2k

IFW

Post by IFW » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:12 am

What kind of drive were you using before?

For people reading this:
I recommend using vmax for both sides of DoTC as it has more sectors than the standard - so some of the sectors would not be checked during dumping. Of course, you'd get errors during g64 generation anyway as a last resort if imaging failed, but it's still nice to get everything verified during dumping :)

Can't comment on Superstar Ice Hockey as I don't think it's been dumped yet. Once we have an image I can take a look... ;)

As for all RapidLok titles:
You MUST use the -i16 (RapidLok) to verify the image during dumping.
And most importantly: ALL RapidLok titles are region locked.
Therefore you must set your machine to Pal or NTSC to get the RL titles to work. Additionally, some of them only work with new or old CIA chips.

sncboom2k

Post by sncboom2k » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:24 am

Since no-one wants to read through the 3 previous pages (including myself) - I was using the TEAC 55FR with no luck and now I'm using the TEAC 55GFR which is working much better.

For VMAX titles, yes use the VMAX -i19 switch - it helps. Not always needed but it helps for most VMAX titles. I'll test some more shortly.

I haven't had any luck with Rapidlok titles using the switch or without. None of them load in Vice at this point. I'll try messing with the CIA settings etc as you mentioned. They dump fine and verify fine, but do not work in Vice. I've tried 3 titles thus far - all Rapidlok - none work.

You have a dump of International Ice Hockey now - just tell me where to send it - please.

Also another success - Realm of Impossibility - Fat Track - worked fine. No special protection switch needed.

Thanks,
Sncboom2k