Reading Ami File Safe formatted DD/HD disks

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
amon

Reading Ami File Safe formatted DD/HD disks

Post by amon »

Was wondering if it's possible to extract disks formatted with the custom Amiga filesystem "Ami File Safe" (mainly DD's (thousands of them), but have a bunch of HD aswell).
If I remember correctly, Ami File Safe used additional tracks and others tricks, so it was possible to utilize approx 980kb for a DD.

IFW

Re: Reading Ami File Safe formatted DD/HD disks

Post by IFW »

I did a search on Aminet and I could only see it as a demo version, and it's only a file system for hard disks.
It was mentioned that a version for floppy disks will be released.

Could you point me to the floppy disk version?
I will also need a few disks dumped to stream files both DD and HD.

If there is technical specifications as well, that would save a lot of time.

Please note, the disk recording format and file system are not tied together on Amiga.
If the disk version is just a pure file-system applied in your case over say, AmigaDOS recorded disks, you can dump them to AmigaDOS sector dumps, then mount the file-system for AFS and use the images.

If you can submit stream files of such disks I can take a look and see if it uses a known recording format.

Thanks.

IFW

Post by IFW »

The demo version hard disk file system object code refers to diskspare.device.
No idea what for, but maybe it's leftover code for floppy disk access... and coincidentally DiskSpare is now supported by the KryoFlux host software.

So please try and dump the disks with the attached DTC version, -i12 is for creating a DiskSpare sector dump.

EDIT: the attachment here was removed and added to the official downloads at http://www.kryoflux.com

IFW

Post by IFW »

Please let me know how it works for you; if your disks are indeed recorded in this format, then of course there is no need to send the stream files.

IFW

Post by IFW »

Have you had any chance to try DiskSpare yet?