modifying panasonic 475 question

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
doffo

modifying panasonic 475 question

Post by doffo »

Hello,

I have a quick question about the panasonic drive conversion. After seeing the videos on youtube, i do feel comfortable making the conversion, the only issue I had was about the building of the resistors and the Q1 2N2222. Does it have to be a Q1 2N2222 or can it be just any 2N2222? I know I should probably know, but have to make sure with someone who knows for sure. :)

Thanks!
RJMcInty

Re: modifying panasonic 475 question

Post by RJMcInty »

Q1 was just the component designator I used; it's not actually part of the part number. Any 2n2222 should work fine.

Thanks!
RJMcInty
doffo

Post by doffo »

Thanks! :)
doffo

Post by doffo »

After modifying the drive, I was wanting to see if I could use it normally before I soldered in the 2n2222 part to the board and before cutting the trace. Will the drive still work after modifying the drive head as it did before? Or will it no longer know where track 0 is?

Reason I ask is because I went ahead and tried it on my computer, and it turns out it just sits there and does nothing but return an error when i access it through Windows. But if i move the motor manually a few click back, it then reads the contents of the disk...

I wasnt sure if I might of gauged the bushing on the drive rail or what is stopping it.

Thanks. :)
doffo

Post by doffo »

I just answered my own question.... Turns out the little tab I put on the track so it knows its still in track 0 stuck out just a tiny bit too far back the opposit way, so it thought track 0 came too soon, so the drive would hang... :)

Now I just need to find something that will work right in its place...
TeaRex

Post by TeaRex »

doffo wrote:I just answered my own question.... Turns out the little tab I put on the track so it knows its still in track 0 stuck out just a tiny bit too far back the opposit way, so it thought track 0 came too soon, so the drive would hang... :)

Now I just need to find something that will work right in its place...
Just glue it on so that it doesn't quite reach the back edge of the plastic tab. Then it should work. I used a bit of simple black cardboard (cut out from some blister pack's backing) and a run-of-the-mill paper glue stick, that was quite sufficient.
doffo

Post by doffo »

Thanks TeaRex. Ill have to give that a go if the tab thats on it now gives out lol. :)