Not working Amiga Protections

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
IFW

Re: Not working Amiga Protections

Post by IFW »

I don't think I have that one - perhaps ask around here, or EAB to see if it works?
TeaRex

Post by TeaRex »

I've tried writing Arcade Pool from IPF in my NEC HD drive (I got another now) and it seems to work very well. At least I can play a game without triggering any protection messages and/or crashes. Drive is a NEC FD1231H, datecode 1998.10. And the Amiga is a standard PAL A500, 1.3 ROM, 512K trapdoor expansion, nothing else connected. I think the internal drive is a Chinon.
mr.vince

Post by mr.vince »

I am sure Rob Northen was aware of the issue, and this sync mark was chosen for a reason (=problematic to with DD drives).

I also have good results with Sony drives. We also use Samsung drives for good reads, however, not all of them write very well.
PARALAX

Post by PARALAX »

I've tested a Panasonic JU-257A427P F3 HD drive which I got from eBay today with surprising result: Control command rejected by the device, CM: maxtrack=0

This drive is listed as "fully working" here which is obvously wrong or incomplete. I'm a bit upset now as I could have save the money if this list would have been checked more carefully. It seems that there are differences between the Revisions of the drive or whatever. I'm tired now for further test this way and I don't want to build up the whole stuff every time for nothing or buy another drive as a "lottery ticket". Sorry but this is just not acceplatble and I will not do any further tests.

Seems my new drive are broken...waiting for a new one...
mr.vince

Post by mr.vince »

Well, we buy drives as bulk. 30% are plain broken. You didn't pay more than EUR 5.-, did you?!

Apart from testing max track, did you try writing an image?
PARALAX

Post by PARALAX »

See what I've posted in Mini-Size (via editing or quote my last post) before I change it. I was very pissed off at first but when I test the drive on my desktop PC I realize that Windows couldn't finish to format a HD disk (tried with 3 different disks) as well. After trying to access the disk after the formatting procedure the drive was suddently not found, one time with the message that the floppy controller didn't respond. Trying to format the disk with an Ubuntu Boot-CD failed as well, so I can't give you the blame in this case.

I've bought one of these, obviously untested before shipped: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Diskettenlaufwer ... 0574352455
mr.vince

Post by mr.vince »

Thanks for checking the drive after ranting and giving others the impression there might be something wrong with KryoFlux. :)
PARALAX

Post by PARALAX »

I've tested an old Mitsumi DD drive for A1200 afterwards which works with the c2-Test. But I have a question: Are all tested and as "working" marked drives here real PC HD drives or Amiga HD drives (PIN modified for using on Amiga)? If they are I could expect another failed drive. I got a mail from the seller now that the drive has been tested and should normally work which I can't admit (strange that it even was not working on PC). I will get another of the same type probably tomorrow.
PARALAX

Post by PARALAX »

I've received a NEC 1231H (2006.6) yesterday, a drive listed here as "full working". And yes, it does...at least theoretically. The first surprise was a permanent bright drive LED after plugging which is normally typical for wrong side connected floppy cable (which definetely wasn't). I used an 100% working floppy cable from current Gigabyte motherboard and an old Amiga IDE cable with the same result. So I change the direction at the drive with some tricky pushig and then I could finally operate the drive without rejection (-c2). This is a bit strange for me as the drive also work on the PC only with the wrong connection. Don't know wether cable standard is different for this drive or this is a wrong manufaction with the plastic sheathing outside the pins. Anyway, I transfer some of the described "Rob Northern" disks once again (see my first posts) and the result was exactly the same, even with an HD drive! Working disks with this kind of protection is just a gamble, even with KryoFlux and even with an HD drive and it's definetely not possible to get a reliable copy working on different Amiga drives (tested of A500 and A1200 and 100% error free disks). There is nothing left which can convince me of the contrary and therefore I will not buy a third drive! However, KryoFlux isn't a bad harware but it still has limits which is proven at least by this post. Thank you anyway for all the nice suggestions.
mr.vince

Post by mr.vince »

Doesn't it make you wonder you are the only one around here with such a problem? The forums would be full of people complaining if this feature was broken.

A drive light permanently lit means broken or at least not correctly connected hardware.

And for the record: yes, there is a Rob Northen protection that _does_ fail on even some original Amiga drives.