Amstrad 3" disks

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
r09

Re: Amstrad 3" disks

Post by r09 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:12 pm

Uploaded the first batch. Sorry for the quality of the photos; I'm not exactly the best photographer in the world, but they should be good enough to identify the game/edition.

Just one more question: for compilations where each game comes in its own disk, do I upload them separately with one text file for each game, or just put everything together?

IFW

Post by IFW » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:48 pm

TBH it happened both ways previously. Whichever is more convenient for you, maybe together so things won' get mixed up later. But I am open to any ideas :)

IFW

Post by IFW » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:39 pm

Batman is bad, but I could use it to verify tracks from another dump - some tracks have no checksum, those are confirmed to be good now, so we have a complete one :)
Gauntlet is sadly modified, the rest is good.

One thing: Interceptor has a script that would make side 1 files appear as <track>.1 in dumps, very useful when side 1 is used to avoid renaming everything.
I'll ask him to post it, no need to change anything in your existing dumps, don't worry.

IFW

Post by IFW » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:55 pm

Could you redump track 5 and 7 from side 1 of Indiana Jones?

Thanks.

Interceptor

Post by Interceptor » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:08 am

Here is the script, this is for dumping cpc/speccy games.

it assumes the 3inch drive is responding as device 0, if it isnt you can change the parameter in the script from 0 to 1.

simply unzip it to the dtc folder, and double click it.

it creates the folder for you and drops an SPS info file in with the streams, just zip up the dir and upload it to our FTP.

let me know if there is any problems.
Attachments
DoDumpCPC.zip
CPC & Speccy Dump Script
(1.42 KiB) Downloaded 133 times

r09

Post by r09 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:47 pm

Thanks, I'm already uploading the last disks and the Indiana Jones redumped tracks. I found another strange thing with Wizball; DTC says the first track has 9 bad sectors, but the game works fine. I wonder if it's actually damaged or it's just part of the protection.

Interceptor

Post by Interceptor » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:48 pm

yeah a lot of disks will generate mfm errors due to protection, because the mfm checks are to check intergrity, which many protections hide. so dont worry to much.

internally the mfm decoder is thinking in terms of a basic sector disk image, but its a good check because it force redumps of bad sectors, "just in case", and helps stopt obvious dumping problems (such as track 000 unformatted, but track 002 really being trk 000, meaning head not aligned usually)

IFW

Post by IFW » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:39 pm

The first track of Wizball needs redumping possibly - or uses unknown protection.

As for Indy, could you test the following please:
- Select Last Crusade
- Start the game (J for joystick, S for start)
- You'll see te loading picture for The Cross of Coronado
- Does the game ever start after that?

Thanks

r09

Post by r09 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:13 pm

Wizball is Speedlock, I think. That's why I find it so strange, Speedlock disks usually don't have bad sectors on the first track. But if it needs redumping just ask and I'll try to get something readable from it.

As for Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, it works fine, you can load the first level and start playing (don't ask me to look at anything beyond that, though; the game is so bad that I can't stand playing it for more than one minute :P). In fact, I'm even testing it with the same drive because the internal one in my CPC stopped working some time ago.

IFW

Post by IFW » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:46 pm

Thanks, it could be an emulation issue then, we'll look into it, but couldn't find any obvious cause yet - apart from the game thinks some tracks are bad, but their checksums are correct...
If you could, it would be good if you could redump the entire disk - maybe it's the result of something else.

As for Wizball redumping the first track should be enough and yes it's an old Speedlock variant so the first track shouldn't have any errors - so just set DTC to retry on it as long as it's bad using generic MFM.