Amstrad 3" disks

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
IFW

Re: Amstrad 3" disks

Post by IFW » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:52 pm

Thanks for confirming that.

robcfg

Post by robcfg » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:01 pm

Hi,

I tried the Kryoflux unit with an Amstrad FDI-1 external drive with success.

The reason for the setup is that it is quite easy to do. Now I'd like to try the resulting data with Caprice32 but the Kryoflux software doesn't export to ipf format yet (as far as I know).

So, as I think you'll find any dump interesting, I uploaded it here so you can try it.

If you can convert it to ipf so I can try it with the emulator, that would be wonderful!

If you are interested in more dumps, please tell me and I'll be glad to do them for you.

IFW

Post by IFW » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:49 pm

Hi,

IPF files are the result of a very complex automatic/manual analysation so it's not just a matter of conversion, it's quite an involved process.
We are always interested in preserving CPC images so yes, please do get in contact.
Please contact us directly at:
http://www.softpres.org/contact

You'll be given more details about the process etc.

We can (usually) detect during analysation whether a disk was rewritten/modified since mastering and if it was duplicated using home equipment (ie a CPC, PC etc) machine or professional grade equipment, e.g. Trace.
When a disk is not professionally duplicated, at least another copy of the game is needed to verify the disk content, preferably from a different geographical location etc.
When something is duplicated and is not modified it is instantly good for preservation, e.g. an IPF file will be available.

As for this dump the good news is that your drive definitely works fine with KryoFlux, the bad news however is that the disk is not duplicated...
Anyway, as I said please do get in contact and anything you could dump for any platform including, but not limited to CPC is much appreciated.

You could check whether a game has been preserved (including SKU information) at:
http://www.softpres.org/games
You can select e.g. CPC as platform and see all the games that have been found fully authentic and good for preservation so far; as you will see at the time of writing this it's 100 games, so there are possibly thousands of games out there not preserved yet :)

IFW

Post by IFW » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:54 pm

Just as an additional information; about 99% of games were duplicated (including very early ones!), so the number of games that would need multiple copies for that reason is low; however modified disks on the other hand are very common on all the platforms - which makes it very difficult to have some of the games preserved in their original form, unaltered.

robcfg

Post by robcfg » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:05 am

Thank for your fast reply!

It's interesting that the disk wasn't duplicated as it is the original one (or at least it seems so, we got it with its original box and instructions).

Anyway I'll be sending an email soon to the contact address as I possess many games on many platforms and I'll be glad to contribute them.

IFW

Post by IFW » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:13 am

Since it is an early title it may be how it is, but it's better to be cautious... copied games are common for various reasons; e.g. a disk might have developed an error and even the publisher could just rewrite the bad data if no stock was available, it could happen even in shops; by users etc, so we developed a wait and see attitude towards non-duplicated disks and so far it's always paid off, even if it just meant to confirm that the original was duplicated with a virus on it that's why people replaced the disks...

Thank you very much for your help!

Specfreak

Post by Specfreak » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:21 am

@r09

Yer, many Amstrad CPC disks are have protections schemes, more than found on the Spectrum +3.
Batman the Movie on the Amstrad uses the Speedlock 1989 copy protection as looks like this:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15363623/Batman ... mstrad.jpg

The Spectrum version uses Paul Owens copy-protection which looks worse, but is supposed to be like that:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15363623/Batman ... ectrum.jpg

You can get most of these EDSK images from CPC-Power (http://www.cpc-power.com/) and check out their
protection schemes either by what is described on the site or download the disk and look at it in Disk Image Manager:
http://damieng.com/development/sinclair ... sk-manager, as used in the images above.
Of course the maintainer of the site is on here ;-), it'd be nice to get some mass dumping of Amstrad and Spectrum 3"
disks done. I've done hundreds already but only 130 have currently been okayed so far, so redumps are always valuable
and might help with my little SDP project too:
http://www.worldofspectrum.org/sdp/

Good times !

Specfreak

Post by Specfreak » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:40 am

Reading the back end of this thread, it was interesting to note that some Spectrum disks were duplicated onto used Amstrad 3" disks.
So much so that in some instances you get Spectrum written tracks then following could be Amstrad left behind from a previous use.
I guess 3" disks were expensive to source at the time so they reused. I've even seen and probably have some in my collection that simple
have stickers over the top of previous Amstrad originals.

I'm sure the SPS guys have seen some of this in my Amiga -> Spectrum RAW dumps ?

Might have been a publisher like Domark, Elite, I can't remember.

CholoCPC

Post by CholoCPC » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:39 pm

Indeed, it can be a bit hard finding "untouched" 3" originals. A quite common pratice in the early years was simply to buy like 1000 empty Amsoft 3" discs (original clean ones) and simply manually copy from a "workdisc". Empty Amsoft discs had quite a good rep as "quality" discs. Then mom could use her spare times to put on the 2 coloured labels and fold the manuals while dad did the marketing :D

Another reason why its got to be pretty hard to get unaltered games is that those disc was quite expensive indeed. So there is always a high chance that people used the spare space on a disc for other files.

Then there is the multi system games (like infocom and silverbird) that could easy have PCW, CPC and Spec3+ versions on the same disc but thank to installers only one version would remain after extraction or again people would most likely delete or format the "non-used space".

At least all the protected games propabably stayed clear of alterations.

r09

Post by r09 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:36 pm

CholoCPC wrote: At least all the protected games propabably stayed clear of alterations.
And even then, you have to take into account the games that write to their own disks. This was a HUGE problem for Amiga preservation, as the SPS guys know for sure, because in some cases even just loading the game for the first time causes the disk to be modified.