Amstrad 3" disks

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
r09

Amstrad 3" disks

Post by r09 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:48 pm

Hi all,

I was lucky enough to get into the first batch of shipments and I've been testing the KryoFlux, it's an awesome device and I thank the SPS people for all the work they have done with it.

That said, I have a little question. I have an Amstrad FD-1 external 3" drive that can be connected with a standard 34-pin ribbon cable and I was wondering if it can be used with the KF, and if so, which options should I use to dump CPC or PCW disks for preservation with this drive. I did a few test runs but apparently DTC assumes by default that I'm using an 80-track, double-sided drive, which is not the case, and I'm not completely sure about which options to use.

Thanks!

IFW

Re: Amstrad 3" disks

Post by IFW » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:44 pm

You set the last track be dumped, 41 should be ok for a 48 TPI drive, 83 for 96 TPI; e.g. -e41
You probably want to read every second track only for CPC on 96 TPI drives; use -k2
If the disk is flippy, you also only want to only dump the first side at a time; use -g0

For most CPC drives you'll probably need to use the "slow" firmware, it's posted in one of the threads.
All of these in addition to the default dumping commands needed; Mr. Vince or someone will fill you in on all the exact details.

Before starting dumping it's always a good idea to do just a single test dump of a known good disk to verify drive, settings etc.

r09

Post by r09 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:08 pm

OK, I think I got it. I've done a test dump of Nebulus (with the options -g0 -e41) and it seems to work, it's an unprotected game so all the tracks decode correctly as MFM. Do you want me to upload it to the test dumps directory for further verification, or is it OK like that?

IFW

Post by IFW » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:30 pm

Yes, please.

r09

Post by r09 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:57 pm

Uploaded. I just put the stream files in there, if you need anything else just ask. :)

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:10 am

STREAM files are ALWAYS fine for us! ;)

IFW

Post by IFW » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:55 am

Everything can be re-generated from the stream files, so most of the time they are fine unless something very specific and not related to the dumped data has to be investigated.
The only thing stream files don't contain is a transfer error or something similar happening and retries associated with those - streams only ever contain the last (good or given up) result of each operation.

IFW

Post by IFW » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:45 pm

CPC Related news item (and download):
http://www.softpres.org/news:2010-11-16

btw: your dump is perfect :)

Do you happen to have more CPC and/or Spectrum+3 disks you could dump? ;)
If yes, please always dump both sides though (flipping the disk) - as we found that even if something is not labelled the other side may contain something useful or actually the second side of the game or a different format (Specturm +3) and so on...

Also please dump side 2 of Nebulus.
One thing: if you remember we asked for various information about each dump submitted in a text file format, we still do the same otherwise it's not possible to correctly archive a title, ideally you could also submit a photo/scan of the disk amd box as well for completeness and 100% identification of the SKU preserved.

r09

Post by r09 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:14 pm

Yeah, I have a few CPC games around here, and also two copies of the original CP/M Plus disks that came with the CPC6128, in case you're interested in them. One of the games (Batman: The Movie) is particularly interesting, because the disk appears to have several bad sectors, and the game clearly tries to read them, judging from the sounds the drive makes, but it works perfectly anyway. Maybe it's some kind of protection?

Anyway, I'll gather everything I have and start dumping, documenting and uploading it. Thanks for the help!

IFW

Post by IFW » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:34 pm

Most of the CPC disks I've checked are protected.

Thanks for your help too :)