Timeout while waiting for device initialization

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
IFW

Re: Timeout while waiting for device initialization

Post by IFW » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:47 am

If it is calibrated to track 41 it means it is a 48 TPI drive.
While KryoFlux is mostly used with 96 TPI drives, it may be possible to use a 48 TPI as well.
Try enforcing the track distance to 1, before the image format, and set a hard stop at 41.
e.g. -k1 -i4 -e41 in this order.

IFW

Post by IFW » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:49 am

Otherwise try and get a 96 TPI drive instead.
The one listed should be 96 so there should be a way to reconfigure it to 96 - but it may be just a trace on the board... somewhere.

drkenb

Apparently Not all TEAC FD-55GFR Drives work with KryoFlux DTC

Post by drkenb » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:15 am

I set the Other Params in the Settings | Image Profiles to -k1 -i4 -e41 and nothing changes when I try to copy the disk - it skips every other (i.e, even numbered) track.

If I understand you correctly, some TEAC FD-55GFR drives are 96 TPI and others are 48 TPI? Doesn't make sense to me at all. It would be nice if someone went back to the drives list and made note to this effect - caught me off-guard (and probably others, I would suspect) and I would have purchased a different drive from that list had I known that I might get one that doesn't work properly with the KryoFlux DTC. I expected the official list to be correct.

I just purchased another drive so it should be here within a few days and I'll see if that makes a difference.

Very frustrating.

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:28 pm

I suspect there is a jumper to set 96/48 TPI. How can we know the exact jumper settings for a third party product? If the drive only reports 41 tracks, then this is the current setting of the drive.

Still, you can make use of it with KF. What is your _exact_ command line?

This list is based on user contributions.

Feltzkrone

Post by Feltzkrone » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:37 pm

Obiously using the GUI, so here some advice: In "Settings" -> "Image Profiles" of the GUI setting "Track Distance" to "80 Tracks" (untick "Default" first) is the same as using "-k1". In "Settings" -> "Advanced" set "Max Track, Drive 0" to "41" (also untick "Default" here) which is "-e41". Leave "Other Params" blank. Does it work?

Edit: On the internet it is said that TEAC FD 55 drives generally can be modified from 96 tpi to 48 tpi by cutting one particular resistor. Perhaps the former owner has modified your drive in that way.

spags

Post by spags » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:01 pm

I think you need to post a few detailed and close-up photos of the circuit board(s) from this drive.

I wonder if it has also had some previous "repairs" done on it. I'm not sure if it is possible (I guess so), but maybe the board has been swapped out from another drive/model. Or maybe more likely, the stepper/worm assembly has been replaced from a 40 track drive. That probably makes more sense actually.

drkenb

Post by drkenb » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:51 pm

Hi Feltzkrone and thanks for the additional advice. I tried exactly as you specified, then ran the calibration and it comes up 41 Max trax.

Spags - I just took two photos (1 with flash, 1 without flash) and will add them here... if I can figure out how to add photos....

Appreciate everyone's assistance.

drkenb

TEAC FD-55GFR

Post by drkenb » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:59 pm

No idea how the system here works re photos. Here's the links to the two photos I took:

http://s873.photobucket.com/user/drkenb ... 6.jpg.html

and

http://s873.photobucket.com/user/drkenb ... d.jpg.html

drkenb

Post by drkenb » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:11 am

As luck would have it, I today received the THREE additional floppy drives I ordered, hoping that at least 1 of the 3 would work. Surprisingly, all three work!

I think the key to the TEAC is not in the "FD-55GFR" but rather in what follows that designation. Here's the results of my 4 floppy drives:

TEAC FD-55GFR 7231-U Max Trax 41
TEAC FD-55GFR 7239-U Max Trax 83
TEAC FD-55GFR 149-US Max Trax 83
Mitsubishi M854-347US Max Trax 83

May I suggest that the keeper of the drive list modify it so that the full designation for the TEAC drives is listed in the hopes that it will help some other newbie like me hone in on a workable drive.

BTW, the TEAC FD-55GFR 7239-U drive is the nicest of the lot in that it is fully enclosed - no worry about dust etc landing on the disk surface.

Again, thanks to all who offered up helpful suggestions - greatly appreciated. FYI: the original 7231-U drive that gave me such pleasure will be making an appearance soon on eBay... :)

spags

Post by spags » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:17 am

I think the jumpers on your drive looked fine. I suspect at some point in the past, the drive was either incorrectly repaired or intentionally modded. Apparently drives prior to the 55-GFR could be changed to 40 track operation with a jumper or cut solder trace. After doing further reading, it looks like this wasn't possible on the 55-GFR; the motor/assembly had to be physically swapped out.

Now presumably you will be dumping Apple // floppies (perhaps amongst others), so do yourself a favour and search these forums for references to AGC and using the -dd0 or -dd1 option. It will save you a lot of time and effort reading the Apple media. Good luck.