Timeout while waiting for device initialization

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
jerrykurtz

Post by jerrykurtz » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:38 am

I had to rebuild my system and I can't get my Kryoflux to work. I just get the timeout message stated in this thread's title.

I downloaded an am using 20b6 on Win 7 X86 system. It looks like I got the driver installed ok (?) as I see the device "KyroFlux DiskSystem" in my Device Manager.

I hop out to the command prompt to test/calibrate the drive with the DTC -C2 command, and that's when I get the error message.

The green and yellow lights come on and start alternating, but watching the device manager. the KryoFlux DiskSystem disappears. Pressing the reset button on the KryoFlux or unplugging/plugging in the board brings it back in the Device Manager, but the problem persists.

I've tried the slow firmware too.

Any suggestions?

jerrykurtz

Re: Timeout while waiting for device initialization

Post by jerrykurtz » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:04 pm

I booted up the old machine and verified the KryoFlux board works. I just am having no luck on this new machine. I've tried just about every USB port I have.

I've attached images showing the device in the Device Manager, the dtc command and its result, and an image of the Device Manager afterwards where the KryoFlux has disappeared. Pressing its reset button brings it right back.

I've tried unistalling (with the checkbox set to delete the driver), rebooted, and re-installed, pointing it to the latest driver when doing the install.

I'm completely at a loss at this point...
Attachments
Device manager 2.jpg
KryoFlux disappeared from Device Manager
Device manager 2.jpg (101.49 KiB) Viewed 2826 times
cmd.jpg
dtc command and error
cmd.jpg (91.63 KiB) Viewed 2826 times
Device manager.jpg
KryoFlux showing its installed
Device manager.jpg (102.9 KiB) Viewed 2826 times

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:38 pm

Could it be that there's a wrong driver installed? It seems it's recognised initially but then... It's gone.

When you reset the board... Is there a device disappearing?

jerrykurtz

Post by jerrykurtz » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:15 pm

I've removed, deleted, and reinstalled the driver several times.

The KryoFlux device disappears after issuing the dtc -c2 command. Pressing the reset button on the KryoFlux makes it reappear in the Device Manager.

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:40 am

It must reappear as something when you dtc -c2... Even if not as KF, it must be something...

DrCoolZic

Post by DrCoolZic » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:13 pm

jerrykurtz wrote:I am using 20b6 on Win 7 X86 system.
Is it Win7 32 or 64 version ?
I've tried the slow firmware too.
Should not change anything? I think this is when you have problem with specific FD drives.

This is strange I have tested on different versions of Win XP and 7 and never had problem?
If you double click on Kryoflux DiskSystem to open the property window does it says version 1.0.0.2 3/10/2009 in the driver tab ?

IFW

Post by IFW » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:26 am

The fast/slow firmware is drive specific.
This error message means that the KryoFlux device did not appear as a working windows device in the system within a reasonable amount of time.

There are a few possible explanations I can think of:
- The device appears, but takes a long time
- The USB bus does not suppor the bus reset signal, or requires a different bus reset period
- Some USB driver alters the USB behaviour, e.g. USB packet analyser, USB hub killing the reset signal, etc

What happens if you enter the command again without unplugging/resetting the board?
e.g. DTC -c2<enter>
<LEDs flashing on KF>
... some error message...
DTC -c2<enter>
<what message do you get now?>

Does the device ever appear after this incident? ie appears just takes minutes or does not appear at all.
Do you get a non-working USB device or something that did exist before in Device Manager (anywhere)?
Do you get a USB device removal sound when you start DTC, but no matching device inserted sound?

jerrykurtz

Post by jerrykurtz » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:04 am

I won't get a chance to play around with it until this weekend.

I also bought a new mobo in case that's the problem.

Oh, it's 32 bit Win 7. I thought I read somewhere that something wasn't 64 bit, but that could be my faulty memory or no longer the case.

IFW

Post by IFW » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:15 pm

For the benefit of readers: this has been resolved and is down to a faulty motherboard.
It is unclear whether that's general USB signalling incompatibility or just a specific fault developed, but possibly the latter.

svillanu

Post by svillanu » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:12 pm

Hi,

I'm facing exactly the same problem:

First, when I connected the Kryoflux to my USB port I could hear the "boink" sound that told me that something had been connected. However, no pop-up appeared allowing me to select the correct driver to install. Nonetheless, I could solve this problem going to the device manager and installing the Kryoflux driver instead of an arduino BOssa driver that had been automatically isntalled for the device.

First problem solved. Now, when I connect the Kryoflux, I can see it in the device manager with the correct driver.

However, I'm still unable to make Kryoflux work due to the following problem: when I open the command line (as admin) and type "dtc -c2" everything happens as it should (Timeout and so on) BUT at the same time, when I do so I can hear the "boink" sound of an USB device being removed. So when I type "dtc -c" for the second time, still of making the floppy drive work to show how many tracks it's able to read, I get the message "Device not found" !
Indeed, when I first type "dtc -c2" althought the Kryoflux light gets green, the sound indicating that an USB has been removed means exactly that: the Kryoflux disappears from the device manager as if I had removed it! Thus, when I type "dtc -c2" fpr the second time, my computer cannot find it anymore.

I've been able to use Kryoflux with my old Windows XP PC (that's no longer among us) I used it for dumping disks and writing them back without problem, back in December when I got the Kryoflux from you.
I recently made it work, too, with a friend's PC running on Windows 7. Since my new PC running on Windows 8.1 ( a Lenovo G50 laptop) is quite new I'm beginning to think there's an incompatibiliry with the OS somewhere.

Could you please provide some help ?

Many thanks.