Demand for modified 5.25" drives

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
Feltzkrone

Post by Feltzkrone » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:24 pm

I'm in need of a track -8 / flippy disk enabled modified 5.25" drive and would appreciate if those were either sold in the shop or if somebody living in Germany and reading this was so kind to build and sell me one as I'm all thumbs and won't get one to work. Sure I know that this cannot be done for twice the price of a normal drive, so in case of feeling able to build one for me, please just drop me a PM so we can talk about the details.

And dear moderator, please excuse a possible usage of the wrong subforum. :-)

mr.vince

Re: Demand for modified 5.25" drives

Post by mr.vince » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:39 am

Case resolved. :)

ELITE

Post by ELITE » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:02 am

Hi,
How?

I wish to purchase a fully working drive for BBC 5/4 disks.

Problem with ebay is they may notbe fully working ie fault is not obviuos so would prefer to buy a refurbished and fully checked drive from the shop.

I understand 3.5 drives were sold ages ago so why not 5.25?

Thanks
Elite

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:22 am

Supply and pricing. And there is a reason we don't offer drives in the store at the moment. It's a tedious job to clean and align them and getting new old stock or barely used stock also becomes harder. 3.5" were sold until recently, but 5.25" drives were put out of service over a decade ago. These are harder to get, especially in good condition. I also fear they will be out of the price range of a typical private user.

ELITE

Post by ELITE » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:35 pm

Can a program be written to test the drives via kryoflux?

I assume data will need to be written to a floppy which SPS can sell nad the program on PC then tests the accessibility if the data & if bthere is a match bingo if not then at least we won't waste time on making useless backups.

elite

quapil

Post by quapil » Sat May 19, 2012 7:11 pm

I'm in need of a modified 5,25" Floppy myself, as I want to conserve my c64 disk collection. I've done quite a lot of mnibs so far, but I feel the need to go through everything and preserve from scratch, including scans of the contents.
For this I would love to have a Kryoflux running, so I dont have to preserve again later on.
If anyone out there could sell a modified drive, please drop me a line.

As an option, I could get a new TEAC FD-55FR (or even a few of them). If someone (preferibly in Europe, so it doenst have to go around the world) knows how to modify it and would offer to do this, please drop me a line too.

thanks
quapil

Edsel007

Post by Edsel007 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:31 am

Hi all.

I'm in need of such a drive as well. I'm a C-64 collector and would like to dump my collection and, of course, contribute them to the SPS team.
So, I'm either looking for a modified drive or someone who could do this for me, as I'm ............. lacking skill and tools :)
I have a 5,25'' drive here, but I'm not sure if this could be modified as required. It's a NEC FD1157C, which is on the list of drives confirmed to be working with Kryoflux.

If someone can help me, please get in touch.

Thanks 4 reading.
Cheers.

SkydivinGirl

Post by SkydivinGirl » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:04 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm a new KryoFlux owner and I'm also looking for a 5.25" drive to backup my (more than 300) original C64 disks. I can do whatever modding might need to be done, but I don't have the equipment to align a drive myself. Please let me know if there's a source where I might be able to purchase a drive.

I'll also be backing up my Amiga originals but I already have a bunch of 3.5" drives so I'm sure I have one that will work for that.

Thanks for any help!

Heather