Seagate ST-225 hard drive

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
dreside

Seagate ST-225 hard drive

Post by dreside » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:27 am

Does anyone have any ideas for how one might read a Seagate ST-225 hard drive.
It uses two ribbon cables that both can connect to the Kryoflux, but both need to be plugged in at once (one is a data cable and one is a command cable).

Some info is here:
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/obsoST506-c.html

ZrX

Re: Seagate ST-225 hard drive

Post by ZrX » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:50 pm

Since that drive uses the old ST-506 "MFM"-interface where the read and write lines use differential signaling, I'm not sure if Kryoflux is able to handle that.

I'd look for some old computer with ISA-slot and a suitable "Winchester"-type controller card for the drive. Install system on a normal IDE drive and then hope you can gain access to the ancient drive through that.

I have two HDDs similar to this with the required controller. One of the drives is actually in use in an old HDD-controller in my Amiga 500.

Malvineous

Post by Malvineous » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:35 am

Unfortunately the I/O ports used by the old controller cards for these drives happen to be the same I/O ports used by IDE controllers, so you'll have a very difficult time getting an IDE drive working in the same machine as an ST-506, unless you're lucky enough to find two boards that are very customisable.

The way I did it with a similar drive was to install an ISA network card instead, then boot the machine off a floppy and copy the hard drive contents off over the network. But if the drive is in a non-PC format like Amiga, the PC may not be able to read it. In this case would think your best bet - given the size of these drives - is to copy the contents out bit by bit on a floppy on the original system.

I don't think the KryoFlux will ever be able to handle these drives, as both cables need to be used (one for control and one for data) and obviously only one of them fits into the KF anyway.

philpem

Post by philpem » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:50 pm

Malvineous wrote:Unfortunately the I/O ports used by the old controller cards for these drives happen to be the same I/O ports used by IDE controllers, so you'll have a very difficult time getting an IDE drive working in the same machine as an ST-506, unless you're lucky enough to find two boards that are very customisable.
I've had ST506 controllers work in modern PCs (most recent was a K6-II 500 on a Commate S7SXB mainboard). Disable the Primary and Secondary IDE controllers in the BIOS, then shut down and plug in the MFM/RLL card.

Both my Seagate and my WD controller card work fine like this. (They're even easier to set up on my 386 motherboard, but that doesn't count because it doesn't have onboard IDE anyway :D )

Malvineous

Post by Malvineous » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:39 am

Ah, but disabling the IDE controllers means you can't get an IDE drive working in the machine at the same time, which was the idea ;-)

Although you have made me think - it's been a while, but I seem to recall the two MFM/RLL I/O ports being those used by the primary IDE device only, so if I'm remembering correctly you might be able to leave the secondary IDE port enabled, but don't quote me on that!