Control command rejected by the device

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
Borderline

Post by Borderline »

I've recently bought a Kryoflux and is of course eager to test it out. Following the quickstart everything seems to work fine till I run "dtc -c2". First time works fine and the LEDs start blinking beautifully on the board, but all I can get on following tries is "Control command rejected by the device CM: maxtrack=0".

I've tried using both a Samsung SFD-321B and a Sony MPF-920-E (as well as a Compaq Citizen drive, but I assume it's of no use for anything) and all amount to the same message.

As I searched the forum I read about a "slow" firmware, but it seems the download links to it are gone. Would that help anything?

Sorry, but I really have no idea of what to do to get it working. All help is appreciated.

EDIT: Forgot to say that I'm using Win 7 x64.

IFW

Re: Control command rejected by the device

Post by IFW »

The most likely cause of error for that command is that the drive did not move the head despite the step signals.
Possible causes:
- incorrect connections, e.g. drive cable in the wrong way (pin 1 is always marked on the cable with a different colour and should match the pin 1 position on both the drive and the board)
- jumpers on board incorrectly set
- drive not powered separately
- drive faulty

TeaRex

Post by TeaRex »

The slow firmware is part of the standard KryoFlux download. Just look through the directory structure. You'll need to put it in the same directory as "dtc.exe", and make sure it is named "firmware.bin"; before that, you might want to back up the standard firmware since it will have to be overwritten to use the slow firmware. You have to reset the KryoFlux board (power down or push reset button on PCB) when changing firmwares.

However I agree with IFW's solution suggestions. The slow firmware will not help with *your* current problem. If possible, check that the drive itself is working by connecting it directly to a PC's mainboard and PSU and then reading/writing/formatting a few floppies, preferrably trying both DD and HD disks.

One more point, the Samsung SFD-321B has many sub-models that are noticably different from each other in their internal electronics, so you'll have to state which sub-model you're using if there are any drive-specific problems with it.

Borderline

Post by Borderline »

Took me a lot of time to reply but it seems I've tried everything and I still can't get it to work. I've gotten more drives to try with just to be sure, but nothing.
I'm not ruling out I'm doing something wrong as I haven't used floppy drives since the early nineties. Please treat me like I'm from Mars and have never seen one of these flah-pees before. ;)
incorrect connections, e.g. drive cable in the wrong way (pin 1 is always marked on the cable with a different colour and should match the pin 1 position on both the drive and the board)
I've made very careful attention to have the colored line at pin 1 of the drives, and in the correct orientation on the board. No change. I've tried multiple different cables to be sure they weren't faulty.
jumpers on board incorrectly set
I've followed the Kryoflux manual and set everything as it's supposed to be. Jumpers set for one drive. Write blocker jumper tested with both on and off settings. Rail select jumper is as pictured.
drive not powered separately
I've tested two external 5/12V PSUs with MOLEX. Both tested to be in working condition.
drive faulty
If possible, check that the drive itself is working by connecting it directly to a PC's mainboard and PSU and then reading/writing/formatting a few floppies, preferrably trying both DD and HD disks.
I tried them in a standalone PC and the funny thing is that the Samsung actually was broken. The Sony drive worked as it should as far as I could tell, as well as two other drives I've gotten; a Panasonic JU-257 and a Teac FD-55GFR. Neither works plugged into the Kryoflux.

Sorry, I'm all out of ideas.

Harry

Post by Harry »

Have you tried to first power the Kryoflux by USB and then the drive? The other way wont work.

Borderline

Post by Borderline »

Thanks for the help.

Yes, that is the only way I've tried.

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince »

What kind of disks do you intend to dump? PC? Amiga?

Borderline

Post by Borderline »

Yes, pretty much all of my collection, present and future. That includes PC, Amiga, ST, Mac.

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince »

Ok, what happens if you e.g. try

DTC -i5

with an Amiga disk in the drive?

Borderline

Post by Borderline »

Nothing.

Code: Select all

C:\DUMPS\kryoflux_2.0b3_windows\dtc>dtc -i5
KryoFlux DiskTool Console, v2.00 beta 3, uiv.1, Sep 16 2011, 18:07:26
(c) 2009-2011 KryoFlux Products & Services Ltd.
Developed by The Software Preservation Society, www.softpres.org
Licensed for private, non-commercial use only.

00.0    : Control command rejected by the device
00.0    : Read operation failed

Enjoy your shiny new disk image!
Please consider helping us to preserve media and continue development:
www.softpres.org/donate