Writing Amiga IPF's

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
merlinkv

Writing Amiga IPF's

Post by merlinkv » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:08 am

Hi to all,

I have two working drives Sony MPF920 but I cannot write good Amiga IPF images. I readed the manual and all installations tasks are well.

Is a stange issue.

If I connect my drives to my Kylwalda adapters and to Amiga, the units can write/read disks without problems.

But when I try to write any IPF with Kryoflux, all times I get unreadable disks or Block/Sector errors.....

First I use the DTC -c2 command. It says all is OK 83 tracks max.

To write IPF I use DTC -fimagedisk.ipf -w -l15

But now way, more than 100 FDD and no one works. The same disks formated and recorded using kylwalda adapters works great... :?:

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

mr.vince

Re: Writing Amiga IPF's

Post by mr.vince » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:21 am

Try a different drive first, please. Some have broken index detection or simply misaligned (index) etc. This does not matter when writing pure DOS data, but is a problem when you deal with a system that relies on it.

merlinkv

Post by merlinkv » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:21 am

@mr.vince

Hi,

Thanks for the info.

Finally I solved the issue in both drives, just with this command line:

DTC -d0 -fimagedisk.ipf -s0 -e83 -w -l15 only changed -d0 to -d1 when needed.

Now both drives works with IPF images without probs. :D

Only one more question..

Writng images is not supported by the GUI, right?

Maybe is a future implementation?

Thanks

karadoc

Post by karadoc » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:38 pm

Yes, writing will be supported in the GUI. May take a while though, since we're going to slightly redesign the layout first.

merlinkv

Post by merlinkv » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:27 am

Bad news,

Yesterday I cannot write any IPF in any FDD, the same issue as the first day.

Testing with the two Sony MFP920 and FAST/SLOW firmwares have no changes, the recorded disks aren't recognised or runs with "Read erros".

Other question... Where I can find a complete manual with all the DTC command line options?

mr.vince

Writing Amiga IPF's

Post by mr.vince » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:20 am

The commands are in the manual. You can as well run DTC -h.

I am still recommending to use a different drive. Don't try the same brand and model. Some are just flawed. They work fine when writing DOS data but fail with advanced timing requirements.

merlinkv

Post by merlinkv » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:34 am

Hi again,

@mr.vince,

Thanks for the info.

But I'm a bit confussed... one day works great, another day not (without changing anything)....

I tought maybe I have one spare NEC-????? but I don't know about the "compatibility" of this drive with KryoFlux. I need to check it in the other Thread.

In anyway, I will try this evening.

Thanks again & Best Regards

IFW

Post by IFW » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:03 pm

It almost sounds like it's a problem with the drives/cables/connections or the media you are using. e.g. using hd disks vs using dd disks etc.

TeaRex

Post by TeaRex » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:28 pm

In case you care to know, I found that KryoFlux-written disks (even those without any copy protection) work just fine in my Amiga 500's internal drive, but completely fail to work in an (older) Amiga 1010 external drive. However both Amiga drives can read each other's disks without any problems. And yes I used DD blanks, and it seems to happen independently of which of several 3.5" PC drives I use with the KryoFlux.

So you might try another Amiga drive, and see if the disks work there. Maybe the pre-compensation used by KryoFlux is marginal for some Amiga drives?

mr.vince

Writing Amiga IPF's

Post by mr.vince » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:12 pm

If we want to investigate this, we would need to hook the 1010 to KF and make a stream dump.

My best guess would be an alignment thing, which means you A500 fits both, but the 1010 and the PC drive are too much apart...