Reading FM formats don't work

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
IFW

Re: Reading FM formats don't work

Post by IFW »

Thanks, I'll take a look at the files as soon as I get them.

firefly

Post by firefly »

I have uploaded the test dumps and placed them into a directory labelled

/firefly/2010-11-09

IFW

Post by IFW »

IFW

Post by IFW »

The zip file is incomplete.

Is it the same as the raw files uploaded separately?

firefly

Post by firefly »

Yes the zip file incomplete, and the seperate dumps are the same as what was in the zip file.

I thought it might be better to upload the files individually unzipped as I had a problem with the zip file terminating mid transfer and I could not overwrite it.

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince »

Common public FTP problem... You can not overwrite files. In such case please rename the file you want to upload.

firefly

Post by firefly »

mr.vince wrote:Common public FTP problem... You can not overwrite files. In such case please rename the file you want to upload.
I don't need to.
Yes the zip file incomplete, and the separate dumps are the same as what was in the zip file.
Therefore the incomplete zip file needs deleting which I cannot not do.

IFW

Post by IFW »

deleted

IFW

Post by IFW »

I've tested your samples, please see the key parameters and additional notes to be added to read them properly.
Note, since I only have 2 cylinders of each disk dumped the parameters might not be 100%, but should be generally good based on available data.

ArcFSFiler ADFS D, E:
-z3 -i4

ADFS L:
-z1 -i4

BBC DFS 40/80:
-z1 -i3

The CPM seems to be damaged/bad read, but from what I can see, you could read it as:
-z1 -i4

MDFS:
-z3 -i4
Note, that either the disk is (poorly) protected, or side 1 does not belong to the image, or the hardware does not set the side in the sector headers, ie side 1 always has a mismatched side value in the header that DTC will warn about, as it is incorrect.
Both sides contain valid data, but if you know that the disk is one sided for real, you can restrict the dump to be single sided only by setting the -g paramater to the desired value.

PC 525 HD:
-v360 -i4

Prodos:
-i9
It's actually an Apple 400K disk.

Strange Amiga Disk 1
-i5
It is copy protected and will never ever work as a sector dump, you'll only get the boot track as that is AmigaDOS.
It uses a custom format normally used on games made in Germany.

Strange Amiga Disk 2
-i5

It uses cell density based Copylock protection on track 0.1.
Just like the other strange disk, it will never ever work correctly as a sector dump, as copy-protection cannot be stored that way.

Unknown:
-v360 -i4

unknwon adfs:
-z1 -i4

Other things:

- For all copy protected disks.
Please check http://www.softpres.org/games
If a game has already been preserved (please check it's the correct SKU, ie platform, language, chipset, territory etc) you could get an IPF file that works.
If it's something not preserved yet, you could submit the stream files for preservation and if it is suitable (not modified and duplicated and error free) you'll get an IPF file for your contribution in due course or you'll get one once we get hold of a good copy. All contributors would recieve the good ipf then, as they've all contributed to preserving that game.

- Note, that if a disk was really 40 tracks (e.g. old BBC) you'd have to use -k2 option.

- DiskSpare is a completely custom format only ever used on a handful of Amiga disks and has nothing much in common with any of the formats.
The only place you'd be able to use DiskSpare sector dumps would be WinUAE, but you could use ipf anyway.
If there is any interest, DiskSpare could be supported as a sector dump, but you can just submit the dumps to be preserved alternatively as ipf files.

- I've noticed an interesting thing with one track file (not related to your queries) that might cause a glitch later at the analysis stage of sector dumps - obviously the stream files are not affected, just some cell detection related thing from stream files. Once I get around to looking into that, it would be good to get hold of the whole disk worth of stream files for fixing that.

Thanks.

firefly

Post by firefly »

I'll try these settings tomorrow to see what results I get, some of these settings I have tried before but DTC has not detect or decoded the format.

The disk spare disks are numerous disk 2's from cover disks of an Amiga magazines.

The 2 protected disk where original Bloodwych and Turrican II disks.

The MDFS disk a rescue disk for a MDFS file server. I don't know much about its format.

Thanks