Connecting the Kryoflux to Pwer

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
ward2011

Post by ward2011 » Sat May 28, 2011 5:32 pm

Hi,

I just wanted to get a clarification about connecting the KyroFlux board to power. So making sure I am interpreting it correctly first. Is it powered by the USB connection. So I don't need to power it by the molex connector?

Thanks,

Ward

prowler

Re: Connecting the Kryoflux to Pwer

Post by prowler » Sun May 29, 2011 12:56 am

Yes, it's powered by the USB connection. However, the floppy drive will require its own separate power supply connection.

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Mon May 30, 2011 9:51 am

Indeed.

Please see manal for power options. These are only needed when normal setup (drive powered separately) does not work properly. This could be due to problems with ground, or similar.

Apart from such special usage scenarios, KryoFlux is completely bus powered - no further connections required.

ward2011

Post by ward2011 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:06 am

Hi,

Thanks for your help that was great,

Ward

Tor

Post by Tor » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:07 am

mr.vince wrote: Apart from such special usage scenarios, KryoFlux is completely bus powered - no further connections required.
Just wondering - (maybe it's in a manual somewhere, but..) - how much current does it need? I'm asking because a) my laptop built-in USB is 1.1 and does not provide 500mA like my desktop comp (and it won't work with, for example, a 3G USB adapter unless I use a Y-cable and plug into both connectors), and b) the extra pcimcia USB-2.0 card for the laptop can only power things like keyboards and USB sticks unless I plug in a separate power supply so that it can provide the full 500mA.

-Tor
Hostinfo: Debian SID x86_64 and i686

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:10 pm

500mA max, it's a full power device.

Depending on your revision, you can power the board with +5V (Rev. B) or +7V to +9V (Rev. C) via the DC power in. Alternatively you can connect a PSU to the MOLEX connector on the board. In this case KF will use the power supplied on the +5V rail (Rev. B) or +12V rail (Rev. C; regulated to +5V) of the MOLEX connector.

Be warned that a wrong or damaged PSU might overpower your KryoFlux board. This will void warranty.

Tor

Post by Tor » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:15 am

My KF is rev. C according to what's written on the box. It's brand new, I haven't started using it yet. Hm. So I will have to power it somehow. It's a bit unfortunate that the power connector needs 9V because I don't have any - I have supplied on high quality, well-tested +5V PSUs for my devboards&gadgets. Well, there's the MOLEX and the supply I got with the KF/premium, that'll do I suppose.

-Tor

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:18 pm

I am not sure, maybe you just give it a try? Seems like your USB is pretty special.

Yes, using the molex in on the board should work. Please obeye the last paragraph in the KF manual on page 4 regarding rev. C external +5V power rail selector and make sure it is set as on the photo shown.

Tor

Post by Tor » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:33 pm

Well, if it needs 500mA I know it won't work off the USB on my laptop. Nothing special about it - USB 1.1 wasn't specified to have to be able to supply 500 mA, and lots of devices (and laptops old enough to only have 1.1 built-in) won't. Often they supply barely more than 100mA. That's why the USB 1.1 Huawei 3G dongles and some USB disks came with both a normal USB cable and a Y-cable. The 3G dongle only needs 250 mA but it won't work without the Y-cable plugged into two USB connectors on my laptop.

Anyway, not a big problem - I can power off Molex, or use my pcmcia USB 2.0 extension card with the optional power supply plugged in, for example. My hardware setup (with 8" and 5 1/4" drives) aren't ready yet so it must wait a bit still.

-Tor