CM: maxtrack=0

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
VEC

CM: maxtrack=0

Post by VEC »

Hello there !

This is my first try working with the Kyroflux. I want to read 3 1/2 and later on 5 1/4 Amiga Disks.
The first try with an 3 1/2 Mitsumi D359T5 Drive was not too successfully. The LED of the Drive was alway on, but there was not ticking. After the initialisation of the drive the message "CM: maxtrack=0" appeard and with the command "DTC -fdiskname.adf -i5" or "dtc -i5" there came just the following message: "The streaming device reported missing index - no disk in drive
Enjoy your shiny new disk image!".

I am using "KryoFlux DiskTool Console, v3.00_Win32, uiv.1, Apr 15 2018, 23:45:03"

Which Drives are the best for Amiga Disks for 3 1/2 and for 5 1/4 Formats ?

Thanks in advance for any help.
mr.vince

Re: CM: maxtrack=0

Post by mr.vince »

Please see the floppy drive thread, it's sticky. Missing index may be related to three things: drive, cable or board (the bus drivers don't like voltage spikes). The error says that the board can't read the index signal which is the main reference during ingestion.
brightcaster

Post by brightcaster »

Most Mitsumi drives are belt driven. So it could be a problem with the belt. Can you check that the disk is really spinning? The driving noise you may hear could be the motor spinning freely without moving the belt!

If you can't literally see the surface moving, you can always check the spindle on the back of the 3.5-inch floppy, which should be in a different position after each attempt!

You may find other hints to the subject over here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20

David
VEC

Post by VEC »

Hello there.

It took some time to investigate for me. With the 3.5" I could succed by using another belt. But I still have massive problems with the 5.25 behaviour. I got two 5.25 drives now, still not working. So when the 3.5" Drive is working, it must be somethign with the 5.25 Drives instead ? Which brand is working out of the box, without jumper changing when it comes to 5.25 drives ? Can someone recommend a 5.25 drive or have one for sell which will work properly ?
brightcaster

Post by brightcaster »

Please tell us which drives (manufactor and modell) you are trying to use! Than we can check for the jumpers...

David
VEC

Post by VEC »

Hello there, thanks for response. The first drive is the Panasonic JU 475-4AKO, the second one is called TEAC FD-55GFR 184-U. The second drive had some smell while connecting it, so I better do not use it again or I have done somethign wrong with the connecting. I am not really sure if the belt is correct connected (like for the 3.5 drive) or I have to turn it in a different angle. Both drive gives me a maxtrack=0 while the 3.5 drive is working properly.
brightcaster

Post by brightcaster »

For the Panasonic JU 475-4AKO jumpers should be set according to page 3-15 and 3-16 on this document:

http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/panasonic/ ... umpers.pdf

I'm still searching for the TEAC settings....

David
brightcaster

Post by brightcaster »

The TEAC FD55GFR should at least give you a proper calibration (-c2 command) if set to the factory setting described on page 15 of this document:

https://colorcomputerarchive.com/repo/D ... (Teac).pdf

David