Creating TRS-80 system floppies with KryoFlux

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
Dinosorceror

Creating TRS-80 system floppies with KryoFlux

Post by Dinosorceror »

Everyone,

I've been using KryoFlux for years successfully now for Commodore and Amiga machines to successfully read and write both 3.5" and 5 1/4" disks. However, I recently came into a TRS-80 Model 4 that I'd like to get up and running as well, and I'm having a heck of a time finding easy information on what files are out there that KyroFlux will actually accept in this regard. I've tried a couple of different options and a couple different converters, and none seem to provide a disk image that KryoFlux will accept to image a 5 1/4" disk with. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
SomeGuy

Re: Creating TRS-80 system floppies with KryoFlux

Post by SomeGuy »

Exactly what TRS-80 Model 4 disk images are you trying to use or convert?
Dinosorceror

Post by Dinosorceror »

I started by downloading the images of TRSDOS 6.2 from various sites I could find online. I think I've tried .IMD and .DMK files (and I used tools to convert between them) and neither were accepted by the KryoFlux.
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

No, the kryoflux software only natively accepts a few sector image formats, and those are for fairly specific systems. It is really intended to be used with flux images, so other image formats must be converted to flux image format first.

I don't know about .dmk files, but ImageDisk .IMD files are usually easily convertible using the HxC software tool (You don't have to have the HxC hardware to use the software). https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_drive_emulator/

Typically, just open the .IMD file with the HxC software tool and and export it to a Kryoflux flux image. Because the kryoflux is made up of multiple ".RAW" files, make sure you save this in to a sub folder!. This tool also has a nice graphical disk view that lets you see how sectors and tracks are arranged on the disk.

Note that the HxC software is supported by HxC community, but most people here should be able to answer some general questions about it.
Dinosorceror

Post by Dinosorceror »

Thanks very much for the advice! I know I started out with an .IMD image if I recall correctly, so I'll check out those software tools and give them a shot.
Dinosorceror

Post by Dinosorceror »

Thanks again for the advice, that HxC converter program did the trick. The floppies I tried didn't work, but now I think I'm just dealing with the next issues of dirty/bad drive, etc.