Commercial Drive Alignment Disk for IPF candidate

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
urlordfu

Commercial Drive Alignment Disk for IPF candidate

Post by urlordfu »

I have commercial drive alignment software that came with a special disk for aligning drives at a repair shop for Amiga customers (and Mac customers) way back in the day. Assuming a perfect copy can be made and the stream sent to convert to IPF, I was thinking this could be helpful to many in the community or at least in the very upper echelon of techy-collectors. Or is this just not necessary in 2021? :D
SomeGuy

Re: Commercial Drive Alignment Disk for IPF candidate

Post by SomeGuy »

You can't just copy alignment disks. They usually have tracks that are very specifically out of alignment, in order to diagnose alignment issues. It requires very special drives to create a proper alignment disk.

Now, any software that is with it should be archived.
brightcaster

Post by brightcaster »

I remember an alignment floppy that contained two similar analog signals on track 39.5 and on track 40.5 which where recorded out of phase to each other. You had to connect a scope to the drive, set the head to track 40 and align it to minimum signal!

It's impossible to write this two tracks with inverted phase using a standard floppy drive. A special drive with a special head is needed!

There even have been alignment floppies which used exccentrically tracks, which are also impossible to write with a standard drive...

David
mr.vince

Post by mr.vince »

Alignment disks are "analogue" in nature and require, as outlined, special signal generators. A regular drive won't be able to create or duplicate these.