Installing Kryoflux Windows 10 Pro

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
Jmealey

Installing Kryoflux Windows 10 Pro

Post by Jmealey »

So I was following the sheet to install the board to check some diskettes.

I have an up to date Window 10 Intel x64 machine.

I force windows to load and install the inf file. It sits for moment then fails it
mentioning about a missing description. It disables it.

I don't quite know how to proceed to get the board installed for use.

Kind Regards,

John Mealey
Longmont, Colorado, USA
mr.vince

Re: Installing Kryoflux Windows 10 Pro

Post by mr.vince »

John, I assume you're actually trying to "install" the .inf file. This is purely a driver, so please try by finding the "correct" device, e.g. Bossa device, and then chose to change driver, have disk and so forth.

A little more explanation including a screenshot or two might help.
Jmealey

Post by Jmealey »

Let's work on this for the moment: In reading the instructions there is a discussion of the various Operation Systems at step 6, then step 7 is connect the USB cable to the computer. I was holding the edges of the board to install the USB cable and there is a momentary contact switch that busted off. It looks like it is labeled 'RESET'. I will attempt to solder this back on.

Prior to continuing I need to understand what the white, four pin power, connector on the board is for. Does it need to be connected?
Jmealey

Post by Jmealey »

I will needs to understand if plugging in the PSU connector has damaged the board.

The board now is seen by the MS Windows 10 OS as the Bossa Program Port (Com3) Port_#0002.Hub_#0001 with the properties noting the 'This device is working properly.'. I run the DTC -C2 and it comes back with 'Device not found'.
Jmealey

Post by Jmealey »

Hopefully this is good news:
C:\dtc -c2
CM: maxtrck=82

I need to print off the help file and figure out which set of disks I want to read now.

Some notes. Going to need to get this into a case of some sort. Going to need to put the momentary reset switch back with a 25w soldering iron....delicate delicate. Does it need to be there? Is it 'open' with momentary close?

Last thing, is there a GUI on this?

Thanks all,

John
brightcaster

Post by brightcaster »

I can't see the steps you mentioned in the manual. It looks as if you are working with different instructions not found in the official manual at https://www.kryoflux.com/download/kryoflux_manual.pdf. There is also the GUI described there...

You don't need the molex connected! The board is powered via USB only!

Usually you don't need the reset switch either. I can't remeber that I ever touched it...

Nevertheless you have to get rid of the bossa driver as mr.vince described in the second post of this thread! But as the calibration log shows, you have done that allready...

David
mr.vince

Post by mr.vince »

I would strongly suggest reading the manual as the above heavily implies this hasn't been done. I wish KF could be easy as a toy, but as with all precision tools, there is a learning curve.

Yes, there is a GUI. It's also in the manual. Please read it. It has safety instructions. You don't want to lose any data...