Kryoflux Hardware not detected

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
vbgd

Kryoflux Hardware not detected

Post by vbgd »

Greetings,

the device connection problems are getting ugly more and more the newer the windows 10 build is. Now windows doesn`t allow me any more to exchange the driver manually from Boss to Kryo. The availible workaround isn`t working any more. What can I do?
brightcaster

Re: Kryoflux Hardware not detected

Post by brightcaster »

Yes, the bossa problem is getting worse! Linux (as often) seems to be the only system which is not affected, albeit the bossa software is available there also...

The problem is that the kryflux board comes up as "Atmel Corp. at91sam SAMBA bootloader" when plugged in. That invokes the bossa driver which is part of an utillity (named bossa) which is a flash programmer for the atmel processor on the kryflux board.

But DTC doesn't flash the firmware but loads it to the RAM everytime it sees the board (which has certain advantages like easy software updates etc.). Once the firmware is loaded to the RAM an running, all the bossa problems are gone because the board identifies itself as "www.softpress.org KryoFlux DiskSystem".

You can check that if you switch the USB port (after the firmware is loaded which is indicated by the flashing LEDs) between Virtual machines without disconnecting it from the PowerSuply. It even runs under MAC Mojave than!

So the problem could be solved maybe if the firmware would be flashed permanently, resulting in the board never identfying itself as "SAMBA bootloader". The bossa programm to do that is opensource and available on windows, mac and linux. But the firmware in the DTC folder is compiled and optimized for running in the RAM I guess...

David
mr.vince

Post by mr.vince »

vbgd wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:07 am Greetings,

the device connection problems are getting ugly more and more the newer the windows 10 build is. Now windows doesn`t allow me any more to exchange the driver manually from Boss to Kryo. The availible workaround isn`t working any more. What can I do?
What happens when you manually select the KryoFlux driver? Usually Windows will pick a driver on its own, but once you overrule this, I don't see where Windows would have the chance to change it - at least not for the current session.

The firmware not being flashed has various reasons; one of them is that if a board would go bad, with us gone (dead, out of business, whatever reason) because of the SoC, it could be replaced easily. This was planned for the long term as it's about preservation.

Please let us know what the exact problem is, maybe with a few screenshots (try Windows + Shift + S).
ZrX

Post by ZrX »

vbgd wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:07 am Greetings,

Which version of Win 10 is this btw?

I've been testing Kryoflux on a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro with the latest 20H2 update and haven't had any issues there so far.

Just installing the driver and then plugging in KF to various USB ports enumerates it as KF Disk System right away.
mr.vince

Post by mr.vince »

Well no more replies. Guess that qualifies as "got it working somehow but don't feel I need to report back" maybe?
vbgd

Post by vbgd »

Sorry, there was no time in the past for me to try. I will report.
vbgd

Post by vbgd »

I`ve sent in the board, looking forward for fixing the issue.
mr.vince

Post by mr.vince »

We have received the board. The MOLEX connector and the are around shows some brownish residue, apparently from some type of liquid. More via email.