Can you power the floppy drives with the PSU that's powering the rest of the computer?

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
donutbruit

Can you power the floppy drives with the PSU that's powering the rest of the computer?

Post by donutbruit »

I'll be mounting the floppy drives I'll be using with the Kryoflux inside my PC, so what I need to know is if the PC's PSU can power the drives or if I'll still have to power the drives with the PSU supplied with the Kryoflux.

I'll be using both a 5.25" drive I had flippy modded by sncboom2k and a regular 3.5" drive
SomeGuy

Re: Can you power the floppy drives with the PSU that's powering the rest of the computer?

Post by SomeGuy »

Yes, if you are mounting the drives internally, you should power them with the computer's power supply.

I'd imagine you would be leaving the Kryoflux attached at all times, but remember not to detatch the Kryoflux while power is supplied to the drives - in this case power everything off first.
donutbruit

Re: Can you power the floppy drives with the PSU that's powering the rest of the computer?

Post by donutbruit »

I'd imagine you would be leaving the Kryoflux attached at all times, but remember not to detatch the Kryoflux while power is supplied to the drives - in this case power everything off first.
Yes, the Kryoflux itself will be always attached to a USB port like a graphics card is always plugged into a PCIe slot.