New KryoFlux board worked then doesn't, sort of?

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
RWoerz

New KryoFlux board worked then doesn't, sort of?

Post by RWoerz »

Sorry but I went from happy to alarmed today. I've had my KryoFlux for a little over a week and was happy to see I could read most of my very old (late 70's) CPM floppy's with very few errors. I'll get into what to do with the dumps later. Today I tried to read some more of them but ran into a dead end. The drive and controller are right where I left off but today nothing I do allows me to dump a floppy. I can do the "dtc -c2" in a DOS window and a Calibrate from the GUI just fine but that's it. I'm on a windows 10 machine. I'm also using a Tech FD-55 which I took out of the plastic wrap about a month ago and it worked last week.

When I do the calibrate the light on the drive turns on and it does it's thing finding 83.1 tracks. When I try to do a dump I get nothing, no green light no head movement. From DOS a cntl C exits the program and pushing stop also works but nothing in between. Is there a chance the Windows update that just came out has killed your program?

Now for the other thing what to do with the dumps. Last week I was able to make "KryoFlux stream files, preservation" and "MFM sector image" dumps. I was able to read the MFM files in Notepad++ and could see sectors that contained parts of ASCII text files so thing were looking up. Now what to do next? My old CPM system for now at least is dead so that's no help. I'd like to at least move the files to my current machine but haven't found a way to do that. There's a write up on how to do it using Linux (Ithink) but that's all Greek to me besides he also seemed to have a system that could read his floppies. My oldest working machine that might support a 5 1/4 floppy drive is a P4 running Windows XP.

After I get your controller working again I'm hoping someone can give me a hand. I built my CPM system back in the mid 70's while a starving college student for a company named GNAT computers. They would give me specs for a new board then I would design it lay out the artwork and have a board made. I would then to fix any artwork issues write a driver for it in exchange for enough boards to build a system.

My original Tandon TM 100 drives works but not as well and the "NEW" Tech.

Thanks for the help.
brightcaster

Re: New KryoFlux board worked then doesn't, sort of?

Post by brightcaster »

You may use cpmtools to get the files on and of the images:

http://www.moria.de/~michael/cpmtools/

David
RWoerz

Post by RWoerz »

Sorry if I'm a bit slow. Which type of image can be read by cpmtools. I have RAW KryoFlux stream files preservation and MFM sector image files or do I need something else? Thanks so much for the help.
RWoerz

Post by RWoerz »

So I'm trying cpmtools but they need my disk layout, number of tracks, sectors per track etc. Can I get that information from any of the dumps? I know they were formatted DS DD on a 96 tpi drive. KryoFlux said I had 81.1 tracks, does that mean 162 total tracks or 81? Is one track on both sides? I think my sector size is 512 but don't know the number of sectors per track. Sorry but it's been a Very long time since I've done any of this type of work.
brightcaster

Post by brightcaster »

CPM tools works with mfm images. Yes you should know the origin of the floppy (e.g. the machine it was written with). Otherwise you may upload the RAW stream of one of the floppies to be examined here...

David
mr.vince

Post by mr.vince »

Quick info re naming scheme... there are 0-x cylinders (usually 0-39, 0-79; most drives can address and read a few more, but the standard is 40 or 80 (counting from 0-39 and 0-79)). A cylinder has one or two sides (if e.g. the drive has dual heads). A track is one side of a cylinder, so a disk that has 80 cylinders and two sides has 160 tracks. Often the word track is used synonymously for cylinder, in which case the side is usually addressed by calling it 12.0 and 12.1 for each side.

Did you manage to get the board working again? I am confident that if it does one thing, it will do the other.
RWoerz

Post by RWoerz »

Thanks so much for the help. A few of my floppys have the source code for the BIOS on my system (a GNAT Sys 9) and when I edit the MFM image I can see bits and pieces of the file. They (GNAT) included a file MDD512.MAC to define a double sided double density Mini 5 1/4" drive which is what I have but I don't see some of the information required for CPMTOOLS to work. So I know I have 2 heads and 80 tracks and sectors size is 512 bytes. What I still can't find is Blocksize, Maxdir and Skew. I was thinking it would be on the disk but it's in the BIOS. I'm setting up a system to read my BIOS chips using an Arduino. After that I'll compile the source and compare the two to see if bad ePEOMs is the reason my system isn't booting. They are the kind with the little window. Sorry no I haven't tried reading any floppys I've been to busy re learning this stuff. I did all this work back in the 70's. Hope this helps because my head is about to explode.
Thanks again.

;########################################################;
;# #;
;# Mini Double Sided Double Density (MDD512.MAC) #;
;# #;
;########################################################;

cseg
.z80

false equ 0
true equ not false
debug equ false
two equ TRUE
four equ FALSE

external dirbuf,print,hexout
external ho8039,rd8039,wt8039
external sb90,rate90
if two
global mddhd1,mddhd2
endif
if four
global mddhd3,mddhd4
endif
if debug and two
entry mddho1,mddrd1,mddwt1
entry mddho2,mddrd2,mddwt2
endif
if debug and four
entry mddho3,mddrd3,mddwt3
entry mddho4,mddrd4,mddwt4
endif

page 60
; DRIVE SELECT / STATUS PORT DEFS
; fdxsts (input is complemented)
; bit 0 - int
; bit 1 - hlt head loaded with timeout
; bit 3 - dsk chg disk change
; bit 7 - drq data request

; fdsel (cma before outputting)
; bit 0 - drive select
; bit 1 - drive select
; bit 2 - select enable 1 enabled
; bit 3 - sd/dd - density 1 = single 0 = double
; bit 4 - m/sf - floppy type 1 = mini 0 = standard floppy
; bit 5 - ss - side select
; bit 6 - x
; bit 7 - /res - reset 1 operate

selen equ 94h ; double density select bits single sided
side1 equ 20h ; set backside in the sedlect bits
;rate equ 01b ; 12 msec for mini drives
rate equ 00b ; 6 msec for mini drives
secsid equ 10 ; physical number of sectors per side
maxtrk equ 80 ; number of tracks on the device
RWoerz

Post by RWoerz »

Oh and 10 sectors per side.
brightcaster

Post by brightcaster »

That's more than expected! If there are text files on the floppy it should be possible to find out the skew or interleave if there is any. There are also differences in track/side organization possible which can be sorted out best by the -oo parameter of DTC when creating the sector image file.

You are still invited to upload the raw files to some cloud space and provide a link to it. I'm sure the layout will be quickly offered by some of the experts here...

David
RWoerz

Post by RWoerz »

So after looking over some CP/M documentation I guess I need to figure out how to get you a KryoFlux stream files.