Texas DS990/1 Dump

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
SomeGuy

Re: Texas DS990/1 Dump

Post by SomeGuy »

At a glance, that does look better. What did you do to improve dumping?

ZrX

Post by ZrX »

After scratching my head quite a bit because something in the dump didn't add up with the FD1000 manual, then I realised the floppy is single sided.

Some drives (like the Nec drive) just refuse to read 2nd side if the floppy itself is single sided. Others apparently ignore the head select signal in such case and you get the same data on both sides.

And it indeed looks better, but still a lot of errors. The scatter plot looks like as if it has been written on two different drives, since the last tracks look cleaner than most of the disk. So it could be either the drive that wrote it, or the one used to dump it has some misalignment.

pieroandreini

Post by pieroandreini »

To improve dumping I used the original Qume DT/8 instead NEC FD1165.
Incredible news that is single sided!!!
Thanks!

ZrX

Post by ZrX »

Quite odd that the drive from the actual machine gives such noisy data.

But looking at the flux times there's lots of shifting so perhaps the original hardware has a PLL that is able to compensate with all that and loads the disk just fine.

Edit: You mentioned in the other post about the missing terminators. Can't tell for sure, as KryoFlux has a buffered bus, the index gets recorded just fine, so I'd assume the read signal would come out ok aswell. But can't tell for sure...

Edit2: Found the service manual for that drive type and atleast for system installation it states that terminators must be installed for single drive setups.

pieroandreini

Post by pieroandreini »

finally seems to be a good dump

https://www.dropbox.com/s/736pac5n9r595 ... d.zip?dl=0

But I still don't understand if is correct that is one side dump...

Th FD1000 is a double 8" DSDD but it's possible to connect together two double unit. I can't understand how is possible to have accesso at 4 double-sided disk drives with the standard signals of the 50-pin FDD connector.

Maybe I am not properly connected kryoflux to the floppy drive and therefore reads only one face of the disk even if it actually has two?

ZrX

Post by ZrX »

Nice! The dump is moderately clean now. How did you get it working?

The drive cable has four control signals that are used to select which of the four possible drives should listen to the command signals on the bus.

Does the floppy have a label that really says DS or Double Sided? Or where is the index hole located, as the placement of the index hole tells the drive which type of disk it is. One type has the hole close to the center between the label and the center hub, the other type has it a bit off to the side.

pieroandreini

Post by pieroandreini »

@ZrX Yes the floppy is a Memorex double density double side 1024 bytes/sector part# 32013104.

My current problem is that the SIDE signal does not seem to work, in fact only one side is being read as you know. I have made various tests with two different types of adapters 50 -> 34 poles, both the DBIT http://www.dbit.com/fdadap.html which is recommended on the kryoflux website and with this one: https://github.com/pski/fd50to34 without success.
I must use a QUME DT/8 drive to read the disc which is part of FD1000, the floppy unit of DS990/1
I am trying to preserve BASIC 4.3.0 on TX5 operating system.
Somebody can help me to make the correct drive and interface setup to read both sides of the disk?

ZrX

Post by ZrX »

Can't remember if the Dbit FDADAP indicated at all on the display which side it's controlling.

Do reading both sides work on standard floppies with a normal 3.5" drive for example?

pieroandreini

Post by pieroandreini »

Yes absolutely fine

brightcaster

Post by brightcaster »

There are some jumpers on the drive to select head and side options. On some drives pin10 shows if the floppy is recognized as single or double sided.

It is even possible to configure the two sides as separate drives! If thats the case on your drive it should be possible to read side 1 while selecting drive 1 on DTC or the kryoflux GUI.

It's described on page 7 and 13 to 17 on the manual.

https://deramp.com/downloads/mfe_archiv ... _Jan81.pdf

David