Imaging 100TPI 77 track Exidy Sorcerer disks on a Micropolis 100TPI

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
ZrX

Re: Imaging 100TPI 77 track Exidy Sorcerer disks on a Micropolis 100TPI

Post by ZrX »

The new dump looks just like unformatted floppy with steady "background noise" and nothing else.

exidyboy

Post by exidyboy »

Thanks for your insightful comments Someguy. That is one mystery solved regarding not reading beyond 40 tracks.
I will have a go a creating a custom preservation stream profile to overcome this and I will observe the movement of the carriage of 'C' and also whether it differs from 'B'.
The drives are different models and although mechanically similar the controller boards are slightly different. B is I presume an earlier revision and doesn't even have the standard 4 pin power connector. It is possible the track-to-track step time of 'B' is a few ms less than 'C' and just under the default step rate.

exidyboy

Post by exidyboy »

Thanks ZrX I will give the heads a clean as there is definitely data on the disk. Cleaning requires dismantling the drive as my nice Verbatim cleaning disk with the removable biscuits won't fit in the drive.

I think this is because of the extra thickness caused by covering the 2nd head aperture in the jacket with the included sticker that stops the felt pressure pad riding on the cleaning media and getting contaminated with solvent.

I'll be back in a few days.