I have a KryoFlux ... now what?

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
lchackr

I have a KryoFlux ... now what?

Post by lchackr »

Hi all,

I bought a KryoFlux and have some questions.

1. What format is ideal for imaging PC floppy disks? From the list of options I am really not sure what to choose. I also am not sure how to process the data after imaging either. Do I need to write the data back to a floppy or is there some way to extract the useable content for access with a VM or other typical disk tools (i.e. an .IMG file)? I was especially interested in a KryoFlux unit to help me recover what I can from disks that have some possible bad spots but I am at a loss as to what to do with the data I get.

2. I have some old 5.25" floppies my dad used with a Commodore PET and Commodore CBM. They were written by an 8280 unit (I believe). What format should I use to capture those floppies? I played with those Commodores as a kid but I really have no idea what disk format they used. I have a similar question there too as to how I can read the data with something like an emulator.

Thanks a lot for your help. :)

brightcaster

Re: I have a KryoFlux ... now what?

Post by brightcaster »

1. It's probably all MFM sector image. There are many tools out there who could help you to get the files of the image. A really good one is this https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_dri ... r_soft.zip!

2. The 8280 was an 8" drive! If your floppies are 5.25" I would try with the general CBM DOS sector image first. Vice does emulate the PET models and gives you tools to get access to the files https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VICE .

David

lchackr

Post by lchackr »

Thank you!
The 8280 was an 8" drive!
Oh wow, oops. I'm pretty sure it was actually an 8050. It was the unit that matched the CBM case with dual 5.25" drives side-by-side.

brightcaster

Post by brightcaster »

Oops, bad news again! The cbm 8050 is a 100tpi drive. Usually 5.25" drives are 96tpi. So you need a 100tpi drive which are very rare today!

viewtopic.php?t=774

David

lchackr

Post by lchackr »

Oops, bad news again!
AHHHHHHHH!!! :cry:

What about the CBM 2040? I found out that he had a CBM 8050 but most of the disks should have been created with the 2040.

brightcaster

Post by brightcaster »

The 2040 is 48 tpi and should be readable with a 96 tpi drive in doublestep mode. But they had a different sector layout to the later cbm drives! Tracks 18-24 had 19 sectors instead of 18 on later drives!

I don't know if that is covered by the dtc decoder!?

Thou vice can help to get the files off such d67-images...

David

brightcaster

Post by brightcaster »

It works, and is covered in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=776&p=6856&hilit=d67#p6856

David

lchackr

Post by lchackr »

Oh, that's great news! So if I image them using the "preservation" mode I will get all the data?

I have a lot of these disks that I would like to try and image now and take the time to process them and go through the data later. But of course in the process I want to be sure that I capture everything on the disks before I discard them.

lchackr

Post by lchackr »

So is it best for me to use the preservation mode or just the -i23 argument? I assume that preservation mode will still capture the data on all the (readable) tracks?

Thanks!

SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

That is a matter of opinion. Personally, I usually dump as a preservation stream and then feed the preservation stream back in to the Kryoflux software or other tools to decode it. That saves a lot of hassle and disk wear when the format is unknown or if it turns out there is copy protection. But it does mean you have to re-dump at least entire tracks if there are read errors, instead of automatically retrying. If you are absolutely 100% sure about the disk format, then you might not need a preservation stream dump.