How to stop DTC trying to write at track82 when using a 40track drive and image?

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
keropi

How to stop DTC trying to write at track82 when using a 40track drive and image?

Post by keropi »

Hello!

How can I stop DTC trying to write at track82 when using a 40track drive and image? After it reaches and writes track41 it then attempts to write to track82 so it produces a horrible sound.

the command I am using is this: dtc -w -fd:\kryoflux\disk1_img00.0.raw -wi0 -e41 -oe41

Any ideas?
thanks!

brightcaster

Re: How to stop DTC trying to write at track82 when using a 40track drive and image?

Post by brightcaster »

Does it also happen with "dtc -w -fd:\kryoflux\disk1_img00.0.raw -wi0 -e40 -oe40"?

For more info on this issue you may read this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=873&hilit=duplicator+info

David

keropi

Re: How to stop DTC trying to write at track82 when using a 40track drive and image?

Post by keropi »

yes it happens even with limit at 40

I have read that thread but what should I take from it? I have no problems for this "duplicator info" to exist in the unused track 40/41 or something like that but this tries to write at track82 still ...

IF I delete the track41 raw files (disk1_img41.1.raw and disk1_img41.0.raw so the image gets dected as 42 tracks) then I get this, with no track82 attempt:

maybe it's a bug?

SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

It tries to write its whatever on the first "unformatted" track. But if track 40 and 41 already appear "formatted" then it assumes you are really using an 80 track drive/image, and craps itself.

If you know for sure that these tracks do not contain data, you can delete them. It is possible for systems to use these tracks, either to add a small amount of additional storage, or for copy protection.

keropi

Post by keropi »

I see
I hope there is some workaround on this - my disks atm have no protection (Monkey Island 16colors version or Spellcasting 101) but it would be nice to be able to write replacement disks with no tricks...

keropi

Post by keropi »

so no real solution here? either delete last track and hope it's not in use or have seek grinding sounds?

brightcaster

Post by brightcaster »

Hmm, if there is no copy protection there shouldn't be anything written to track 40 - 41. You should see it if you do a multiformat (with raw and mfm format guided output) dump. In that case only raw files for track 1 - 39 would be generated and everything writes fine.

I can hardly remember that I've ever seen a genuine 360kByte floppy with anything written on track 41 or higher...

David

keropi

Post by keropi »

there is no copy protection for sure , these are IBM PC 360kb disks... for example Monkey Island
with the GUI I see reading stops at track39 but there are stream files created for tracks 40 and 41 (the max the drive supports) . What happens if something uses those extra tracks, should I just eject the disk once track41 is written?
Sure I can delete the extra tracks but that's not a real solution... DTC should obey the max track switches right? I am not sure that track82 seeking is healthy it makes more grinding noise than the calibration test.

SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

Perhaps the disk was previously formatted with a "dynamic" disk formatter that would create more usable space by adding extra sectors and using extra tracks. If such a disk were later re-formatted as 360k, anything after track 39 (40th track counting from zero) would still be left.

Banging the head against the stop may sound bad, but most drives are designed to withstand that. That is actually how the kryoflux calibrates for the maximum number of tracks.

The bigger issue is that when writing an image , depending on your drive, the head may bounce back and overwrite a previous track.

I actually have piles of "360k" disks that I formatted "420k" back in the day, making use of 10 sectors per track, and 42 tracks (0 to 41).

dlfrsilver

Post by dlfrsilver »

Same Problem with Amstrad CPC disks. I killed one of my drive due to this :/