Post Installation: GUI?

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
clh333

Post Installation: GUI?

Post by clh333 »

As a noob where KryoFlux is concerned, please pardon a dumb question:

I downloaded and installed the latest Kryoflux software and following the Manual's procedure installed and verified the installation of the driver. In other words, the Windows 10 Pro machine does not list the board as a "Bossa" COM:6 port but as KryoFlux DiskSystem under USB controllers in Device Manager. I opened a CMD window and with a 5.25 drive attached invoked "dtc -c2". DTC reported maximum track 41. So far so good.

Then I went looking for the GUI: I can't find it. It doesn't seem to have been installed as an icon or shortcut in the program menu or on the desktop when the driver was installed**. Neither can I find it in the ZIP file that says "includes GUI". I know I'm missing something, but what?

Thanks for your replies.
Charles Hudson
Cleveland, Ohio, USA

** Windows 10 immediately installed the Bossa serial-port driver as soon as I connected the board to the USB cable. I "backed out" of this by locating the item in Device Manager, (under serial ports), uninstalling the device AND DEVICE DRIVERS, disconnecting and re-connecting the board and with Internet connectivity disabled manually reinstalling the driver. Be sure to point to the folder with the .inf file in it; Windows will take it from there.

brightcaster

Re: Post Installation: GUI?

Post by brightcaster »

The GUI is a java application named "kryoflux-ui.jar" and should be located in the same directory as "dtc.exe"! A simple doubleklick should start it (supposed java is installed)...

Otherwise you have to install Java first:

https://www.java.com/en/download/faq/win10_faq.xml

From CLI it can be invoked with "java -jar kryoflux-ui.jar" also...

David

clh333

Post by clh333 »

Thank you for your response.

I had moved the dtc.exe and drivers from where I had downloaded the ZIP file into a shorter path for driver installation and command-line invocation. .jar got left behind. Yes, I had to install java first and since EDGE doesn't use java I downloaded the offline version. But I found the .jar file and executed it successfully.

Two questions: Can more than one copy of DTC.exe reside and be invoked on the same machine? There is no registry value for the executable, is there?

Second, are there any drive diagnostics available for the KF? I know there is a calibration that determines maximum track; what about RPM or any of the other data that the drive reports?

-CH-

mr.vince

Post by mr.vince »

You can use multiple copies of DTC on one system, as you note it does not use the registry, it's (on purpose) a command line application allowing for batch processing, being piped etc. The Java GUI however does store a few settings, so not 100% sure here. But usually one only has one instance of the GUI and then maybe a few copies of DTC for various batch scripts or the like.

You can see diagnostic data like RPM while "dumping". You can set up a dummy dump task with a script and set the verbosity of the output accordingly. BTW it is not the drive reporting this, the drive just delivers the flux data. All diagnostic data is generated from flux by the host software (DTC).

clh333

Post by clh333 »

Thank you for your response. I understand that the drive is not sending anything more than electrical signals and that the DTC software is interpreting it. The command-line DTC interface is quite powerful and it will take me some time to become proficient enough to use it effectively. But it's critical, as the documentation notes, to have a known-good drive as the endpoint of reads and writes. I'm just trying to find out how the KryoFlux can help with that assessment.

-CH-