Old CNC system floppy copying

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
GuntisK

Re: Old CNC system floppy copying

Post by GuntisK »

Hello!
So I finally get my KryoFlux board and made some tries. Im not sure I do everything right (hey! Im still learning! :lol: ), but I managed to get a result that can be seen in attachement picture. It is a content of a floppy that contains some machine parameters. So a question now- how to write this image file to a new floppy in a correct way? Or maybe there is another ways how to do all this stuff?
KryoTest1.JPG

SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

It did not decode the first track. It could be that the first track is FM encoded instead of MFM.

You could (and should) dump it as a preservation stream dump. You MIGHT be able just write the stream dump back to a floppy, but this also writes any recorded "noise" so it is not ideal.

If you could post (or PM) a preservation stream dump I and others can take a look at it.

GuntisK

Post by GuntisK »

This is what I get now after some parameter changing attempts (see picture). But if I try Kryoflux stream files, preservation mode all tracks are shown in grey color (or it should be like that?). However there can be observed stream data in scatter window. With stream dump do You mean ***.raw files generated through reading? Sorry for such a dumb questions- floppies indeed is a big science.
NewReadEPACKS.JPG

SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

Yes, the preservation stream dump is made up of a set of .raw files. Other applications can open those and perform additional analysis.

When dumping just a preservation stream, yes, each block will be gray because no decoding occurs.

That does mean you don't immediately know if there are any errors. But you can tell the Kryoflux software to read from a stream file instead of a physical drive and then attempt to decode to the sector image to see if it is good or not. This is very useful when one does not know the physical disk geometry/encoding, as you don't have to keep re-reading the origional disk while trying different settings.

GuntisK

Post by GuntisK »

Now this one will be funny, but... It works! :D Both parameter and system software floppies! Made a Kryoflux preservation .raw files, later on had written these to floppy with command dtc -w -fEpacks/* . One strange thing here is- when I tried to look on freshly written disks by reading it with MFM sector imaging there were only errors and bad sectors shown apart from that of original disks. Just for fun I went a couple minutes ago to my workshop and started system load from these new floppies. You cannot imagine what surprise it was when suddenly it started to load and then there was output on CNCs CRT screen: SYSTEM LOADING FINISHED!!! :O OMG! Thank You KryoFlux guys for such a great product.

SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

when I tried to look on freshly written disks by reading it with MFM sector imaging there were only errors and bad sectors shown apart from that of original disks
The kryoflux decoder is pickier about accuracy than a real floppy controller. That does suggest that the quality of the original disk was poor, although since it loads in the machine, it was clearly "good enough".

Writing a stream dump is like making a photocopy, the copy will be fuzzier and less clear, but may still be readable.

If the contents can be reduced to a lower common denominator, such as ImageDisk format, a fresh crisp stream file can be created. But that takes some analysis, especially if copy protection is involved.

GuntisK

Post by GuntisK »

SomeGuy wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:15 am
That does suggest that the quality of the original disk was poor, although since it loads in the machine, it was clearly "good enough".
If the contents can be reduced to a lower common denominator, such as ImageDisk format, a fresh crisp stream file can be created. But that takes some analysis, especially if copy protection is involved.
Well- original disk (the one with system on it) was read without any problems- almost all tracks were green except some with orange and H's. At least new set works- and it works really good! Actually I dont think there is a need for making crisper stream files/do analysis- at this moment I have a backup disk and thats enough for me and CNC. ;)

brightcaster

Post by brightcaster »

Do youreself a favour and keep the raw-files at a secure place! The floppies will fade while the years go by but than you still have your raw-files to write new ones....

David

GuntisK

Post by GuntisK »

brightcaster wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:53 pm
Do youreself a favour and keep the raw-files at a secure place! The floppies will fade while the years go by but than you still have your raw-files to write new ones....
David
Sure will do that- I always keep a spare (not limited only to files, same goes for mechanical and electronic things, manuals and so on) in similar cases. ;)