Imaging hard sector floppies

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
ZrX

Re: Imaging hard sector floppies

Post by ZrX » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:43 pm

Interesting. Would you mind sharing the raw files of one dump to look at?

exidyboy

Post by exidyboy » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:07 am

No problem. Let me know how to get them to you.

ZrX

Post by ZrX » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:19 am

You can upload them to a temporary place like sendspace.com for example and post the link here, or post it as a private message if the data is something sensitive.

brightcaster

Post by brightcaster » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:28 am

Whow, that's something really new for me. I have never ever seen any hardsectored 5,25" floppies with 2 index holes in the sleeve jacket! Are there any hints for the manufacturer or type on the label?

exidyboy

Post by exidyboy » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:57 am

I will scan both sides of a few discs over the weekend so you can have a look.

ZrX

Post by ZrX » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:28 am

Ok the disk is indeed a flippy.

IF your drive has been flippymodified you could dump without flipping the disk. But assuming it is not, flipping is luckily possible.

exidyboy

Post by exidyboy » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:51 am

Sorry for the delay.
I have put the scans on imgur once and it said they were too big so I resized them all to 800px wide but now I am getting this error if I try to put images tags around more than one:

Code: Select all

It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image. Please verify that the URL you entered is correct.
I've verified that all URL's work and that every image is 800px wide. Some bug with phpBB perhaps.

Any ideas?

exidyboy

Post by exidyboy » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:56 pm

Nothing heard so I'll just link directly to the imaging hosting site:

https://i.imgur.com/a/K3jMSht

brightcaster

Post by brightcaster » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:32 pm

Thanks for the pictures!

Well, what shall I say. Theese holes are more or less home made! You can see that some of them are not exactly in the right position, some are marked with a pencil, and some of the floppies are labeld as single sided. So the additional holes are not made by the factory. Also the second write protection holes are cutted with a sissor or something similar...

Nevertheless I wondered what technique was used to punch the holes without harming the disk itself!

David

exidyboy

Post by exidyboy » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:23 am

Yes it's fascinating and hopefully one day I might find someone who can tell me how this was done so neatly.
I only know of two such systems still in existence.

Note that the product label for disk 047 (obscured by the handwritten label) says it is double-sided so this appears to be a commercially manufactured double-sided hard sector disk for use in a double-sided drive.

(That doesn't necessarily mean the second index hole wasn't added by hand though - perhaps just certified for DS).

In the image above of the observe of 047 you can see however that the user has still had to hand-notch so they can flip it over for use in their single-sided drive.

One of the jackets was too distorted to get between the heads so I had to open up two of the disc's jackets and swap the biscuits over providing a glimpse of the holes.

http://i.imgur.com/co6VuOU.jpg

There is some compelling software on these hard sector discs for the Sorcerer that to the best of my knowledge not been migrated before and which it would not otherwise have been possible to preserve without access to a working vintage system.