Are there any 5.25'' floppy drives that are officially supported and which can read "flippy disks"?

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
brightcaster

Re: Are there any 5.25'' floppy drives that are officially supported and which can read "flippy disks"?

Post by brightcaster »

I have no idea where the points are on this drive's pcb. But it may be possible to align the track zero sensor to -8 similar as described here:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=417&p=3531

David
alt

Re: Are there any 5.25'' floppy drives that are officially supported and which can read "flippy disks"?

Post by alt »

Sorry for the delay in getting back, and thank you for the reply.

I have produced these streams that seem to work (both sides seem to work on the emulator and DTC reports no errors when converting to .g64).

I didn't succeed at making the drive aligning the track zero at -8, so I decided to do it by hand -just moving the head backwards some steps, before reading the disk. It is a trial-and-error operation, but it doesn't take too much to find the point where it seems the head is reading the first track on side B.
donutbruit

Post by donutbruit »

ZrX wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:09 am Panasonic JU-475-3/4/5 models
Newtronics D509V2/3/5 models
Teac FD-55GFR
Of those three drives, which would you say is the most reliable?
ZrX

Post by ZrX »

donutbruit wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:14 am
ZrX wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:09 am Panasonic JU-475-3/4/5 models
Newtronics D509V2/3/5 models
Teac FD-55GFR
Of those three drives, which would you say is the most reliable?
Panasonic usually is good with C64 floppies.

Newtronics maybe has a somewhat loose mechanism and might have better chance at reading scratched disks.

Teac has larger heads which makes good contact and pressure on the disk surface and manages slight dents well.