Are there any 5.25'' floppy drives that are officially supported and which can read "flippy disks"?

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
jdb2

Are there any 5.25'' floppy drives that are officially supported and which can read "flippy disks"?

Post by jdb2 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:43 pm

I have a bunch of old Apple IIe 5.25'' floppies which I think are so-called "flippy disks". I had bought an "EPSON SD-600 5.25" 1.2MB FDD Floppy Disk Drive" off of eBay, but, I don't think it's compatible with flippy disks. I really don't want to go through the trouble of modding my drive, if I can help it. Are there any Kryoflux supported 5.25'' floppy drives that can read flippy disks without needing to be modded?

Thanks,

jdb2

jdb2

Re: Are there any 5.25'' floppy drives that are officially supported and which can read "flippy disks"?

Post by jdb2 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:07 pm

I forgot to mention that I'd be willing to pay someone a reasonable fee to mod my 5.25'' drive so that it's flippy disk compatible. Reply or PM me if you're up to it and have the time.

Thanks,

jdb2

SomeGuy

Re: Are there any 5.25'' floppy drives that are officially supported and which can read "flippy disks"?

Post by SomeGuy » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:46 pm

The Kryoflux will not read flippy disks that have only one index hole opening unless you have a modded floppy drive.

An alternative for data disks is simply to punch a second index hole through the floppy disk jacket (not the cookie!). Then just flip the disk over. But obviously you would not want to do that to collectible original media. (Some disks shipped from the factory with two index hole openings so they could be used with other single sided systems)

jdb2

Post by jdb2 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:38 pm

SomeGuy wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:46 pm
The Kryoflux will not read flippy disks that have only one index hole opening unless you have a modded floppy drive.

An alternative for data disks is simply to punch a second index hole through the floppy disk jacket (not the cookie!). Then just flip the disk over. But obviously you would not want to do that to collectible original media. (Some disks shipped from the factory with two index hole openings so they could be used with other single sided systems)
To quote LOTR, "It is precious to me..." :P with regard to my ancient Apple IIe floppies. :) They contain programs and data that I wrote when I was 8 years old -- essentially my first programs, in BASIC of course. :)

I looked through the entire list of officially supported 5.25'' floppy drives and I couldn't find one that was "flippy disk" compatible -- the offer to mod my drive for a reasonable price is still open :)

jdb2

ZrX

Post by ZrX » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:09 am

Panasonic JU-475-3/4/5 models
Newtronics D509V2/3/5 models
Teac FD-55GFR

Those I've flippymodded. There was one other I can't remember, tho the accuracy of its mechanism might've been a bit questionable.

Panasonic can be modified without expensive tools, but the others require oscilloscope and professional alignment disk to get the job done.

jdb2

Post by jdb2 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:36 pm

Thanks for your reply! :D I have an Epson SD-600 5.25" 1.2MB floppy drive. Would modding it require special / expensive tools or is it as "easy" to mod as the Panasonic?

jdb2

ZrX

Post by ZrX » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:06 pm

It all depends. What kind of stepper motor assembly the drive has, how far the head can be moved, where the head stops and what stops it there, and can that stop be removed.

jdb2

Post by jdb2 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:22 pm

ZrX wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:06 pm
It all depends. What kind of stepper motor assembly the drive has, how far the head can be moved, where the head stops and what stops it there, and can that stop be removed.
Well, I don't know the details, unless I can find some type of data sheet and/or service manual. Perhaps I should just purchase the Panasonic drive you mentioned. It's selling for around $75 on eBay, which is quite pricey, but I don't know of anywhere else to find one.

I'm still willing to pay someone to mod my floppy drive, even if it means that I'll have to get a new drive off of eBay.

jdb2

rcade

Post by rcade » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:30 am

sncboom2k mods drives and also sells pre-modded ones...

See thread here: https://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic ... flippy+mod
-
Pete Rittwage
C64 Preservation Project
http://c64preservation.com

jdb2

Post by jdb2 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:50 pm

Thanks so much! :D

I've already PMed him and he replied :)

jdb2