Suggestions for floppy drives...

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
jdb2

Suggestions for floppy drives...

Post by jdb2 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:33 pm

Hello. I've been thinking of buying a KryoFlux Personal Edition Premium as I have many old floppies that I want to archive. Most of my 5.25'' floppies were used with an old Apple IIe system. I also have a bunch of 3.5'' floppies that I think were used with old versions of DOS.

Can anyone recommend what specific brand or model of 5.25'' and 3.5'' floppy drives might work the best in my situation? I know there's a supported drives list, but it's lengthy and I just wanted a recommendation on what drives have the highest likelihood of being compatible with my floppies.

Thanks,

jdb2

SomeGuy

Re: Suggestions for floppy drives...

Post by SomeGuy » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:24 am

You will want to consider if you will need a "flippy modded" 5.25" drive. Apple II 5.25" disks can use both sides, but the Kryoflux will not read the back side of most flippy disks due to a lack of a second index hole opening in the jacket. A flippy modded drive reads both sides at once, but allows the heads to move further back because a normal double sided drive's second head is several tracks further in than the first.

If you do need one, you will want to choose one that is easily modifiable.

Although as an alternative, if they are just data disks you can manually punch a second index hole opening through the jacket.

Most any 1.44mb 3.5" drive models should be fine for 3.5" disks.

Cyberdyne387

Post by Cyberdyne387 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:17 pm

I’d also like to add, in light of my own thread, that the maximum number of tracks your drive will read will make a difference. Speaking as someone with a 42-track 5.25” drive, I need to resort to a raw stream output unless I want the read process to skip every other track (which happens even if you specify a 42-track-or-less format like I did). Haven’t tested with an 84-track drive yet, but judging from what I’m seeing on these forums, it might not be an issue with those drives, though it could complicate things if you need to write single-density floppies (which, thankfully, turned out fine in my case).

jdb2

Post by jdb2 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:07 pm

Thanks for the replies! :D

I think I might go with a Sony MP-F40W-23 for my 3.5'' drive, but, I have one question : It seems to be associated with vintage Apple Mac systems and I'm concerned about compatibility with just generic 1.44MB floppies formatted FAT for eg. DOS. As for the 5.25'' drive, I'm thinking of going with an Epson SD-600.

Are the above good choices? I've previously owned a Sony 3.5'' 1.44MB floppy drive but I don't know where it went. I never had any problems with it though. As for the Epson drive, I've had much experience with other types of Epson hardware and it was usually high quality.

Thanks,

jdb2

jdb2

Post by jdb2 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:03 pm

Well, I bought an Epson SMD-300 3.5'' floppy drive and an Epson SD-600 5.25'' floppy drive, pulled working, off of eBay. Are these good choices? I don't want the drives to eat my data or otherwise damage my disks. One thing that I was not aware of is that one of the Epson drives has several jumpers for which no one seems to know their function -- I hope this doesn't cause a problem for me...

Thanks,

jdb2