DTC -c2 > Device Not Found

All questions about how to use KryoFlux go here.
airnocker

DTC -c2 > Device Not Found

Post by airnocker » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:39 am

My Kryoflux worked the last time I used it some months ago. Since then, I disconnected it and carefully boxed it in antistatic fashion along with the 5-1/4" Panasonic drive that I used with it. My Kryoflux is firmly mounted on stand-offs to the chassis of the Panasonic drive, so the flat-ribbon cable is always connected between Kryoflux and floppy drive.

I connected the USB cable back up to my Win10 Pro PC this afternoon for another Apple Disk ][ imaging session but when issuing the DTC -c2 command it returns "Device Not Found".

The Bossa Program Port appears on various COM ports depending on the USB port I plug the Kryoflux in that I've used successfully before. (And no, there are no USB hubs in the connection). The red LED light it on solid. The Bossa port device driver now shows to be C:\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\usbser.sys . Driver provided by Arduino Srl. I've no recollection if this is correct or not. Kryoflux is not appearing in the USB section of Device Manager.

I've searched this form and read similar posts for hours and only find one post that alludes to Kyroflux board not working if Arduino software was since installed. I did install the Arduino UNO software bundle to play around with the UNO. So is this the problem?

Tonight I also downloaded the latest Kryoflux software version and replaced the earlier DTC.exe and CAPSImg.dll files with these latest version, no difference. I've tried manually installing a new Bossa driver by pointing to the Kryoflux_3.00_Driver folder but it does not allow me to select the Kryoflux INF file but instead prompts me that the best driver is already installed, the usbser.sys.

It matters not whether my computer is Internet connected or not when manually trying to select a new device driver for Bossa.

Help, please!

Thanks in advance.
airnocker
----------------------------------------------
Everything depends on everything else

airnocker

Re: DTC -c2 > Device Not Found

Post by airnocker » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:15 pm

Update:

After trying multiple USB ports, updating the usbser.sys drive to no avail, then removing the Bossa Port device I reached the point where plugging the USB cable in to the computer resulted in no new Bossa Port appearing in Device Manager. But, when I used a computer USB port not yet used for Kryoflux the Bossa port would appear.

My last attempt to update the Bossa driver by manually selecting the driver (Kryoflux Driver from the driver list) after pointing to the Kryoflux\driver folder, then issuing the "dtc -c2" command yielded the expected command prompt response "Timeout while waiting for device initialization". I thought things are looking better, but when issuing the second "dtc -c2" command I would get "Device Not Found" in response.

Please provide some guidance and feedback.

Thanks
airnocker

airnocker

Post by airnocker » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:40 pm

Another artifact I just noticed with Device Manager open.
I reset the Kryoflux board, Device manager rescanned and the Kryoflux Drive System reappeared in the USB section.
I entered the 1st "dtc -c2" and got the familiar "Timeout while waiting..." message.
I entered the 2nd "dtc -c2" and got "Device Not Found" along with the Kryoflux Drive System USB entry vanishing and the Bossa Program Port" reappearing in Ports with a warning icon overlayed. Updated the Bossa Port again with the Kryoflux Drive System and the USB entry reappears and Bossa Port disappears.

Now I have red LED solid, green and yellow LEDs flashing alternately. Entering ist "dtc -c2" results in "Control command rejected by the device; CM: maxtrack=0. Same appears with 2nd entry. Resetting Kryoflux board results in this same pattern.

At least it is something new and different by way of response :-(
airnocker

airnocker

Post by airnocker » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:07 pm

I found this thread on "Control Command rejected" searches, https://forum.kryoflux.com/viewtopic.ph ... d+rejected.

I tried these steps, issuing 1st "dtc -c2", getting "Control command rejected..." message, ignoring it, plugging in the PSU for the Panasonic 5/-14" drive and issue the 2nd "dtc -c2" and got the desired, correct response.

Ran a normal dtc command for creating a raw and img file set and it all worked properly. My KF board worked, e.g. it is not toast as I had grown to fear.

Why and how does this happen?
airnocker

ZrX

Post by ZrX » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:42 pm

This is about Win 10 trying to force the incorrect driver. Some Win 10 users should know how it got solved.

brightcaster

Post by brightcaster » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:54 am

Just google for "problems bossa driver" and you will see that it's not only kryoflux related! There are many problems with other hardware the bossa driver causes!

If you don't need it you should better get rid of it...

David

airnocker

Post by airnocker » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:32 am

Thanks for your responses. It is curious, however, that there is no post that describes for kryoflux card users a solution other than to "google for" problems bossa driver"". I've done this already.

It was evident from the numerous posts on this forum the problem is with the USB driver installation associated with Arduino or similar products. And this Google search string produces gobs (pages) of articles and web hits for bossa driver problems, but a kryoflux recognizable solutions is not evident, and reading through these "hits" is a bit like someone responding to my help request, "ask around and you may find a solution."

This coupled with Windows 10 Automatic Updates being enabled further perpetuates the driver problem. I understand this as well. But none of this describes a method to follow to eliminate the problem, prior to disabling Automatic Windows Updates.

How does one KILL the Bossa Driver from being on Windows 10 Pro?

Mine is not a problem of kryoflux never working, it used to work well before Arduino Uno software drivers installed. And whether or not my kryoflux computer is disconnected from the Internet during the Bossa driver "Update" to the Kryoflux Driver" makes not difference whatsoever.
airnocker

airnocker

Post by airnocker » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:52 am

As I believe I stated earlier, some days ago, this is what sort of works for me but with "Device not found" errors and "Control command rejected by the device" messages as responses to "dtc -c2" commands, having already Uninstalled any Ports Bossa drivers using Device Manager and checked the box to delete them. What used to work great is the Kryoflux 2.51 driver versions. I've download the newer 3.0. version but it only gave me Device not found responses. So, I'm using the 2.51 still.

Unplug from Internet
Open CMD window
Open Device Manager
Plug in Kryoflux USB cable to Win10 port, The 5-1/4 floppy PSU is NOT plugged in at this time.
In response to Install Drivers dialogue box, I choose "let me choose where and which driver to install" .
I navigate to the "KryoFlux USB driver.inf" file located in the same folder as the dtc.exe and .bin file and select it.
The Kryoflux DiskSystem USB driver is then installed.
In the CMD window, Kryoflux folder I enter "dtc -c2"
After a brief delay I get the response:
"Control command rejected by the device" > this always happens now, no changes to the drive have occurred
the next line generated is:
"CM: maxtrack=0"

I know if I get the maxtrack=0, I can plug in the PSU and generate the second "dtc -c2" which results in:
" CM: maxtract=83"

If I get this far, I know an imaging command string will work, but if I power down the kryflux setup, turn off the computer and want to use it the next day. The Bossa driver will install again.
airnocker

brightcaster

Post by brightcaster » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:32 am

Hi airnocker,

I know that it is a lot to read but studying this thread should really help with all bossa related problems:

https://forum.kryoflux.com/viewtopic.php?t=539

It also desribes how to prevend automatic updates with the bossa driver...

David

airnocker

Post by airnocker » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:39 am

Thanks very much David. I tried reading through that length topic a few days ago.

For others, the key post for preventing automatic windows 10 Pro (or Home Edition) updates from goofing up the Kryoflux driver once it is working is here https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/take-back ... indows-10/.

For Win10 Home Edition, your only option is to turn off Automatic Updates in Control Panel>System and Security>System>Advanced System Settings, Hardware tab, Device Installation Settings.

For Win10 Pro or Enterprise, you can prevent specific device drivers from being updated using the Local Group Policy Editor and following the steps in this web link. This was the method I used.

However, I have still not seen any response to why, once I get the Kryoflux driver working, there is now different initialization responses:

In the CMD window, Kryoflux folder I enter "dtc -c2"
After a brief delay I get the response:
"Control command rejected by the device" > this always happens now, no changes to the drive have occurred
the next line generated is:
"CM: maxtrack=0"

I know if I get the maxtrack=0, I can plug in the PSU and generate the second "dtc -c2" which results in:
" CM: maxtract=83"
airnocker